[Peace-discuss] IL 5th Special Election

Matt Reichel mattreichel at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 5 19:28:04 CST 2009

Pasted below is the press release from the Illinois Green Party about the special election in the 5th Congressional District:

http://www.greenpartywatch.org/2009/03/05/illinois-green-party-congratulates-matt-reichel-primary-victory/

The important side-narrative here is that the Republicans managed to elect a right-wing anti-immigrant fascist in their primary (Rosanna Pulido), thus opening an excellent opportunity for the Greens to finish 2nd place on April 7th.

You then add to this the fact that Blago is scheduled to appear in court just a few days prior to the election, and the stars might align for the Green Party in this election.

Voters walk into the polls with a choice between a fascist, a member of a criminal political establishment, and a peace activist. Who will they choose?

Thanks to those in Central Illinois who have helped to this point!

Please pass the above article on to other progressives so we can draw attention to this race and start raising some funds. We need money fast, because the election period is a mere 5 weeks and we are in desperate need of campaign material, such as buttons, stickers, literature, hand signs and yard signs. I intend to plaster the district with yard signs (in people's yards, not in public spaces), because, from experience, I know that this is a sure fire way to get the machine nice and nervous.

Solidarity,

Matt Reichel
www.mattreichel.us