[Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Sat Mar 28 10:02:03 CDT 2009

Much clearer; thank you.

Now in response to your substantive comments.  Ron asked if there were any
good philosophical argument for the view that abortion is NOT wrong; my
comments were made in response to that question and in the context of that
question.  First it was narrowed to abortion even if it could be generalized
to all institutionalized killing.

Second, it was intended to illustrate my point as to what in Ron's or anyone
else's interpretation would constitute a good philosophical argument in
favor of abortion.  I constructed an argument that held that abortion was a
means of population control which could be justified on the grounds that it
prevented a future environmental disaster that would have a negative impact
on the lives of the future of the human and other species as well as on the
lives of future individual members of the human species and other species
who have yet to be born or live.  I asked if this is good enough to
constitute a good argument.

Thirdly, You assert that the argument that I constructed is a poor
philosophical argument; but you neglected to explain why or what in it is
poor philosophically other than the fact that you think killing is not or
never is justified or explain what makes life in general or human life in
particular so special and valuable - never mind that people use the
arguments for killing plants and animals for food as an extended
justification to legitimize that they and future generations will not have
to starve to death or experience hunger.  I would argue that the giving of
life it special status and value is a religious or philosophical premise or
article of faith and not something that one can prove other than in a
tautological manner and is as valid analytically as holding that life has no
special status or value - and if pressed, maybe has a negative status and
value.