[Peace-discuss] Fw: CCHCC Annual Dinner & Adbook -- AWARE

Ron Szoke r-szoke at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 28 11:58:16 CDT 2009

This page was sent to you by:  r-szoke at illinois.edu

INTERNATIONAL / AMERICAS   | March 28, 2009
Amid Abuse of Girls in Brazil, Abortion Debate Flares
By ALEXEI BARRIONUEVO

The case of a 9-year-old who had an abortion after saying she was raped has
revived a debate over abortion rights.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/28/world/americas/28brazil.html?
emc=eta1

Comments:

1.  Is "pro-life" an euphemism?  For what, exactly?

2.  Is all surgery on female bodies "violence against women?"   On only on
pregnant women?  Or only on certain parts of pregnant women?  How do you
decide?  (Suppose the surgery is to remove a tapeworm.)

3.  Note that my question was:  Are there any good philosophical arguments for
the view that abortion is NOT wrong?  It was NOT a request for a general
argument in support of abortion, only of abortion RIGHTS -- a very different
matter.  There was no response to the question.

4.  Once again, we have seen only slogans, doctrines & evasions on the
question of how far the "pro-life" people are willing to go in preventing or
punishing abortion.  Should those who engage in it  ultimately have to face the
guns & billyclubs of the police for having broken the law?  What if the woman
has been raped, is a victim of incest, or her life is endangered by the
pregnancy?

Will we now receive yet another dose of slogans,  metaphysical doctrines,
evasions, red herrings & idealistic effusions  in response?  Watch this space.

-- Ron