[Peace-discuss] "Believe nothing until it's officially denied"

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Mar 29 14:17:54 CDT 2009

I think you're right, and of course I hope you are, but the trouble is that
there are people in the Pentagon and the State Department working hard this
weekend on the contingency plans for taking effective control of Pakistan. The
administration has made it clear in its peculiarly misleading media blitz this
week (you pointed out the significance of the Friday announcement) that
Pakistan, not Afghanistan, is the real problem. The "stopping terrorism" excuse
is a front -- the real task is neutralizing opposition to effective US control
of the region.

They're looking at how taking control of an insufficiently active comprador
government was done in S. Vietnam, how the US client Zia-ul-Haq arranged for
martial law in Pakistan, and how Musharraf did it.  The consequences of such a
move were set out by Tariq Ali (author of "The Duel: Pakistan on the Flight Path
of American Power" [2008]) and Steve Cohen (formerly of UIUC) in a discussion a
year ago:

    "Tariq Ali: I think it is a dysfunctional state rather than a failed one,
but the notion of jihadi terrorists capturing the nuclear facility is nonsense.
They would have to capture the Pakistan army first. This consists of half a
million men. The nuclear facility is the most heavily guarded place in the
country. A handful of senior officers know the codes. So its safe. And its worth
repeating that except for a short period following the break-up of the country
in 1971, the command structure of the army has never been broken. Even in 1971,
the generals responsible for the debacle were asked politely to resign, which
they did. Jihadis could only capture the nuclear facility if the army wanted
them to and there is no likelihood of that at the moment.

    "Stephen Cohen: I can provide a gloss on Tariq Ali’s answer - I’ve looked at
the question of failure closely in my recent book on Pakistan and concluded that
it had failed in pieces, but not comprehensively, as had Afghanistan (which was
in some ways a murdered, not a failed state) and several African states, which
are hardly states in any sense of the word. Yet, the nuclear assets are perhaps
still vulnerable, one scenario for Pakistan would be a falling out among the
military, or perhaps a politician trying to divide the military - in these
cases, short of total state failure, nuclear assets could be important in a
power struggle, and who knows what would happen to them. This is, of course, a
distant possibility, and Ali is correct in emphasising the unity of the armed
forces. However, there’s a lot of concern that under stress unpredictable things
could happen, and Pakistan’s earlier record as the wholesaler of nuclear
technology to other states does not inspire confidence.

    "Tariq Ali: Cohen is right to say that a split in the army could have
catastrophic results, but this is unlikely unless the US decided to invade and
occupy the country. That would split the army but it is as long a shot as
jihadis capturing the nuclear weapons. True that Pakistan sold nuclear
technology in the world market on the assumption that everything was now for
sale. They weren’t alone. Yeltsin’s Russia did the same.

    "Stephen Cohen: The fact that we are even talking about this is comforting
to me in a perverse sense: the last sentence of my Idea of Pakistan stated that
Pakistan could, soon, become America’s worst foreign policy nightmare - I’m not
pleased to have anticipated this catastrophe."

http://www.brookings.edu/interviews/2008/0213_pakistan_cohen.aspx?rssid=cohens