[Peace-discuss] July 4 parade

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Wed May 20 17:25:08 CDT 2009

On Wed, May 20, 2009 at 04:56:39PM -0500, C. G. Estabrook wrote:
> Of course, as Thomas Aquinas points out, we read ancient philosophers not
> to find out what ancient philosophers thought but how the truth of things
> stands...

Remember a key question from the film, The Lives of Others
(set in East Germany during the time of the Stasi):

    Can [a] man change?

The answer of the artist within the film, and the clear answer of the filmmaker, is

    Yes!

I think we should allow for politicians to change too.
(And I don't share Plato's mistrust of subversive poets.)