[Peace-discuss] July 4 parade

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed May 20 18:13:17 CDT 2009

Of course, we shouldn't confuse a person's changing with a change in government
policy.

Suppose G. W. Bush had undergone a(nother) conversion and leapt out of bed one
morning, exclaiming, "My God!  I've been completely wrong!  I've become a
blood-drenched murderer!  I'm going to go order all US forces out of the Middle
East and close all foreign bases!  Then I'm going to socialize the means of
production, distribution, and communication!  Seize the banks, the major
industrial concerns, and turn the country into a free association of producers!"

Laura would probably have winged him before he got to the door.  (Nancy Reagan
used to keep a gun by her bed, and I suppose Laura did, too.)  Later in the day,
there would be a brief announcement, that, owing to the sudden onset of the
President's mental disability, VP Cheney was assuming the duties of president
under the 25th Amendment...

It would be the same with the current incumbent (except that Michelle would
probably just punch him).  --CGE