[Peace-discuss] July 4th float -- okay, seriously...

E. Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Fri May 22 11:58:27 CDT 2009

> there were things about Lincoln's time that were  anti-war.... AND
> anti-racist, too
That's a Great Point.  There were many heroes in Lincoln's time.  Sad it
is that the Lincoln Myth
has appropriated their efforts as being those of Mr. Lincoln.

Lysander Spooner was a aboltionist contemporary of Lincoln who opposed
the war.

http://www.lysanderspooner.org/UnconstitutionalityOfSlaveryContents.htm

In 1860, Spooner was actively courted by William Seward to support the
fledgling Republican Party. An admitted sympathizer with the
Jeffersonian political philosophy, Spooner adamantly refused the request
and soon became an outspoken abolitionist critic of the party. To
Spooner, the Republicans were hypocrites for purporting to oppose
slavery's expansion but refusing to take a strong, consistent moral
stance against slavery itself. Although Spooner had advocated the use of
violence to abolish slavery, he denounced the Republicans' use of
violence to prevent the Southern states from seceding during the
American Civil War. He published several letters and pamphlets about the
war, arguing that the Republican objective was not to eradicate slavery,
but rather to preserve the Union by force. He blamed the bloodshed on
Republican political leaders, such as Secretary of State Seward and
Senator Charles Sumner, who often spoke out against slavery but would
not attack it on a constitutional basis, and who pursued military
policies seen as vengeful and abusive.