[Peace-discuss] Does Cheney Make Obama Look Good Enough?

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Mon May 25 11:11:45 CDT 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 8:23 AM, C. G. Estabrook <galliher at illinois.edu>wrote:

I don't think Palin was particularly ignorant (cf. Joe Biden, Dan Quayle).
>  She
> just had to be, given her class background.

Palin didn't HAVE to be anything.  I can cite any number of examples -
myself included - who came from a similar class background but who
transcended it through education, open-mindedness, a desire to learn,
whatever.  No, Palin was and is ignorant, and there's a strong element of
choice involved.

And I hate to tell you, John (actually I don't): your polyarchy credentials
> are
> in order.  In the US, formal education is a class marker more than
> elsewhere.

Well, here's Chomsky's definition which you quoted:  "A polyarchy is one in
which a small sector of the population is in control of essential
decision-making for the economy, the political system, the cultural system
and so on."  I may have a formal education, but I ain't in control of
nothin' but world music at WEFT.  That IS part of the cultural system, I
guess, but it's an awfully small part.  My polyarchy credentials may be in
order, but I never got hired by the polyarchy.  I never applied, for that
matter.

I'm afraid you can't be a man of the people whom you despise.   --CGE

Well, Carl, it's a bit of a balancing act which can be very difficult at
times.  But no matter how often you assert it, it is simply not true that I
"despise" "the people".  One can love people very deeply while thinking
they're ignorant at the same time.  Obviously you couldn't possibly have a
very clear idea of what Jesus was about either.  Would you care to assert
that He died for them because of their "essential goodness and wisdom"?  If
so, I've got a multitude of scriptures that prove you profoundly wrong.