[Peace-discuss] Income disparity discussion

Bob Illyes illyes at uiuc.edu
Thu Oct 1 10:00:34 CDT 2009

Karen Medina writes "I'll mention that a graduate student at the university
makes below the poverty level. But these students' families are always
excluded from
the counts. Perhaps rightly so, but some of them are really struggling to
get by."

It's even worse than low pay for grad students, Karen. Foreign grad
students who bring their families do not get health coverage for their
families. One of the free health clinics operates partly in Orchard Downs!
This entire situation borders on shameful, and is a little too close to
slavery.

The bad AP analysis, which Brian says was repeated by DN! (which doesn't
speak well for their critical capacity) makes the situation look much less
serious than it is. Most Americans still don't realize that we are in the
new Gilded Age, with no end in sight. The last one had us fairly close to
revolution when the truth sank in. Tolerating this is really stupid.

Bob