[Discuss] [Peace-discuss] Police policy on lethal force

John W. jbw292002 at gmail.com
Fri Oct 23 15:55:21 CDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 3:40 PM, Melodye Rosales <melodye at nitrogendesign.com
> wrote:

Well I must agree that John's partner is indeed, a Beautiful (outside)
> (inside), extremely intelligent (with the appropriate letters behind her
> name to validate), dedicated to stomping out low-literacy in Chicago area
> Adults and works tirelessly to do so---and simply an all-around amazing
> woman whom I am proud to claim as part of our Black Culture.
>
> ...and John's points are well taken.  My father, a White-Jew, was disowned
> by his parents when he decided to roam within and fall in love with the
> Black community and those in it.  My cousins (my father's siblings children)
> share their sadness about our grandmother's attitude (our grandfather was
> less vocal).  They call her a racist. (of course she has long ago passed
> away, as has my father who was born in 1911).  And though my parents and
> grandparents came from a different time, those attitudes run rampant
> today----often hidden under the covers of "political correctness".

Not two days ago I had a rather rancorous exchange on Facebook with a White
man and a White woman who insisted that my unwillingness to be amused by
"politically incorrect" humor was intolerance on my part.  It started out as
a post about an "illegal alien" Halloween costume which was being taken off
the shelves at Target following protests by pro-immigration groups.  Even
after I told them about my own experiences - a White acquaintance who wore a
Ku Klux Klan costume to the annual Halloween party hosted by the Black Law
Students Association here at UIUC, and a bus trip Jan and I took in which a
big fat White guy was telling n*gger jokes a few seats behind us - it was
difficult for them to fathom that the purveyor of the racist "humor" was
more intolerant than I.  The average White person   JUST   DOESN'T   GET
IT .  They have absolutely no idea how deeply damaging - physicially,
psychologically, in every way - their seemingly innocuous behavior can be,
because they have no frame of reference for it.

Again, I don't have words strong enough to properly convey it.

John