[Peace-discuss] AWARE pontificates?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Thu Sep 3 17:28:06 CDT 2009

The classic Latin dictionary, Lewis & Short, pontificates apodictically: without
any of the OED's nervous invocation of folk-etymology, it declares  that
pontifex is "doubtless from pons-facio [= bridge/make]; but the original meaning
is obscure."

It also quotes to dismiss a first century BCE source (M. Terentius Varro, De
Lingua Latina) that derives the word from "posse" (to be able) and "facere" (to
make).

Pontifex (source of English "pontificate") meant a (pagan) priest in classical
times.  Julius Caesar, in his audacity of hope, became a pontifex on his way to
bigger if not better things.

When the bible was translated into Latin (4th century CE), pontifex was used for
the high priest in Judaism (Lev. 21:10) and for Caiaphas (Jn. 18:24) as well as
for bishops.

So "pontificate" when it appears in English as a verb means "to act like a
priest, esp. a bishop or pope."  But the earliest example the OED has of its
meaning "to speak in a dogmatic or pompous manner" is late 19th century, by
which time "pontiff" in English was effectively restricted to the bishop of Rome.

The current common meaning of "pontificate" seems therefore to have its roots in
a bit of 19th century British anti-papalism...  --CGE

P.S. -- For a bit of bedside reading that plays with those attitudes, see
Frederick Rolfe's mad 1904 novel "Hadrian the Seventh." (I just checked Amazon,
and to my surprise it's in print.)