[Peace-discuss] State Department Terminates Aid to Honduras Coup Regime

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 10:37:21 CDT 2009

As for the cessation of U.S. military activity in the region,
including removing the base in Honduras, and stopping the basing
agreement in Colombia, I'm all for it.

"Non-intervention," as you describe it, is not an item on the menu in
this restaurant at this time. The U.S. is very deeply entangled in
Honduras. It has trained and supplied the Honduran military. The
choices before the U.S. are to support the coup or oppose it. The
"non-intervention" you advocate, if implemented, would equal support
for the coup. That's how it will be perceived - indeed, is already
being perceived - in Honduras and throughout Latin America.