[Peace-discuss] State Department Terminates Aid to Honduras Coup Regime

Tom Abram tabram at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 10:31:11 CDT 2009

The United States Congress allowed the wars in Afghanistan and Iraq as
well as expanded torture and wiretapping.  I guess that's all well and
good regardless of the constitutionality?  I thought you were a big
Constitution fan.

Tom

On 9/4/09, E. Wayne Johnson <ewj at pigs.ag> wrote:
> Whether or not Honduras has an impeachment provision
> seems to be a matter of semiotics.  It appears that the
> Congress decided to remove Zelaya and the Supreme Court ordered him removed,
> the "equivalent" to impeachment and removal.
>
>> Congress voted to
>> remove him for what it called "repeated violations of the constitution and
>> the law", and the Supreme Court said it had ordered the president to be
>> removed from office to protect law and order.
> Here's the link to the BBC page:
> http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/8124154.stm
>

> Honduras apparently has a provision for action under duress, so the coup
> is not exactly "illegal".
>> Article 24 of Honduras' penal code will exonerate the joint chiefs of
>> staff who made the decision,
>> because it allows for making tough decisions based on the good of the
>> state, Inestroza said.
> But, My Original question was "Why are we meddling with the affairs of
> Honduras, a sovereign state?"
>
> Should China impose monetary policy sanctions on the US because Mr.
> Obama has proposed illegal detention of
> dissidents, or because Obama has continued Bush's unconstitutional
> activities, or because the US is in the process
> of escalating its occupation of Afghanistan?  Jimmy Carter told us that
> the Soviet occupation of Afghanistan was so
> immoral that Amerikans ought to starve the Soviets into submission.
> Carter instituted a grain embargo that
> devastated the American Farmer.  How can we be on the moral high ground
> in Afghanistan while the Soviets
> were scoundrels for doing nothing worse than what we are doing?
>
> Isn't the most appropriate response of the US a cessation of military
> activity in the region and a non-interventionist foreign policy?
>

> On 9/4/2009 8:22 AM, Robert Naiman wrote:
>> The Honduran Congress never "impeached" President Zelaya. There is no
>> impeachment provision in the Honduran Constitution.
>>
>> The top legal adviser to the Honduran military admitted that the
>> Honduran military broke the law:
>>
>> http://www.miamiherald.com/1506/story/1125872.html
>>
>> Do you have a link to that BBC story?
>>

>> On Fri, Sep 4, 2009 at 8:49 AM, E. Wayne Johnson<ewj at pigs.ag>  wrote:
>>
>>> The BBC reports:
>>>
>>> Tension had been brewing in Honduras over recent months. Mr Zelaya sacked
>>> the head of the armed forces, who refused to give logistical support for
>>> the
>>> 28 June vote. The Supreme Court overruled him, saying the army chief