[Peace-discuss] State Department Terminates Aid to Honduras Coup Regime

Robert Naiman naiman.uiuc at gmail.com
Fri Sep 4 13:49:09 CDT 2009

Well, first of all I should make clear that I don't think it will be
documented that Karzai stole the election, because I don't yet think
that he stole it, although there is still outstanding information. It
seems clear that Karzai's people tried to steal a bunch of votes, but
so did Abdullah's people. The official returns are close to the
pre-election polling.

But, in any event, in Afghanistan I think that the U.S. should, in the
short run:

- allow the election process to play out, including the international
process for verifying the vote count
- support the formation of a national unity government
- not escalate militarily
- announce a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops
- support the proposal of the UN for a broad process of national
reconcilation, including the Taliban.
- as part of "support," be willing to make concessions as part of
negotiations, including agreeing to a timetable for total withdrawal,
the release of prisoners, ending military operations, accepting that
reforms of the Afghan constitution be considered.

with respect to Honduras, I think the U.S. should:

- continue to support the OAS consensus for the restoration of
democracy in Honduras, including the return of President Zelaya
- continue to pressure the coup regime with sanctions targeted at the
coup leaders
- say that it will not recognize elections that take place under the
coup regime (they've already said a version of this.)

--
Robert Naiman
Just Foreign Policy
naiman at justforeignpolicy.org

Senator Feingold Calls for Timetable for U.S. Troop Withdrawal from Afghanistan
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/exit-afghanistan