[Peace-discuss] Fw: TARGET: Rep. Joe Wilson -- who yelled "You lie!" at Obama

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Sep 11 21:01:02 CDT 2009

They also provide significant obstacles to getting attorneys to take on the
cases even if you are willing to pay them a hefty fee since bring cases that
are difficult or damn near impossible to win from the get-go does little for
their reputation and standing among their colleagues or their professional
careers.

From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of John W.
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 5:21 PM
To: Jenifer Cartwright
Cc: Peace-discuss; Karen Medina
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Fw: TARGET: Rep. Joe Wilson -- who yelled "You
lie!" at Obama

On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:51 PM, Jenifer Cartwright <jencart13 at yahoo.com>
wrote:

I'm sooooo sick of these damned right-wingers saying whatever they want and
getting away w/ it, plus of course all the media attention -- equal time and
then some. And until there are some real consequences, it won't stop. I do
NOT want the Dems/progressives to get down to their level -- i e constantly
referring to Laura Bush as, "Boyfriend-killer Laura Bush" or referring to
Republicans as "Draft-dodging chicken hawk Republicans," but there needs to
be some way to stop it. So maybe censure in this case would be one way to
start the process. I think we need more libel and slander lawsuits as well.

 --Jenifer

The trouble with libel/slander/defamation suits is that they're so hard to
win.  There are a number of elements to them.  The speaker/writer must make

1) a statement of fact, not opinion or satire
2) which is untrue, and
3) which the speaker/writer KNOWS to be untrue, and
4) which causes actual, demonstrable harm to the subject of the utterance.

In addition, if the statement is made by the media and/or with reference to
a "public figure", the person who claims harm must prove "actual malice" on
the part of the speaker/writer/publisher.

The burden of proof is always on the plaintiff, so all of these elements
present significant hurdles or barriers to winning a lawsuit.

John Wason