[Peace-discuss] Fw: TARGET: Rep. Joe Wilson -- who yelled "You lie!" at Obama

LAURIE SOLOMON LAURIE at ADVANCENET.NET
Fri Sep 11 21:13:39 CDT 2009

Of course, we have neglected the fact that Senators and Representatives are
immune from legal action against them for anything that they might say on
the floor of the Congress, in committee meetings, or even within the
congressional chambers while it is in session.  Moreover, should the subject
of the slander or libel be a public figure, it is even more difficult for
them to bring a legal action against the purveyor of the alleged slander or
libel; it is even more difficult if the source of the alleged slander or
libel against the public figure is a sitting legislator or even a public
official who produces the slander or libel during the course of fulfilling
their public duties.  Of equal importance is the fact that a third party
does not have standing to take legal action against another for acts of
slander or libel that involve a party other than themselves.

From: peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net
[mailto:peace-discuss-bounces at lists.chambana.net] On Behalf Of Jenifer
Cartwright
Sent: Friday, September 11, 2009 7:08 PM
To: John W.
Cc: Peace-discuss; Karen Medina
Subject: Re: [Peace-discuss] Fw: TARGET: Rep. Joe Wilson -- who yelled "You
lie!" at Obama

Thanks, John. I knew there were obstacles but had forgotten the specifics.
Even so, you'd think there'd be lawsuits galore against some of these
guys... tho' some are deep down dumb enuff to convince any court that they
truly didn't know they were "mistaken."

Meanwhile, talking heads on News Hour tonite said that Wilson did himself
and his Party so much harm by his outburst that they think he must have been
a Democratic plant!! (If only, huh?)

 --Jenifer