[Peace-discuss] "Imperialism" ?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Fri Sep 11 21:54:40 CDT 2009

Ron--

Your comment puzzles me, Ron.  I would think a number of members of this list
would cop an attitude toward "America's venture into big time world politics and
'imperialism'" (even without the scare quotes).  I would -- and I'd think you
would, too.

Ralph is clearly suggesting that we've been wrong to assimilate American
imperialism to "the register of the crimes, follies and misfortunes of mankind"
and not to recognize it as a noble enterprise.

A fortiori, its apologists, like W. R. Hearst, must be splendid fellows.  I
don't think so, and neither do you.

But jingoism like Ralph's make us complacent, while the corpses pile up in
Obama's war (just as they did in Kennedy's, Johnson's, Nixon's, Ford's,
Carter's, Reagan's, Bush I & II's, and Clinton's).  --CGE

PS--Actor Edward Herrmann does an amazing turn as Hearst in the sadly neglected
2001 flick "Cat's Meow" -- only to be outdone by the amazing Eddie Izzard as
Charlie Chaplin -- and a generally fine cast.  Read Gibbon and watch movies --
that's the way to learn history...