[Peace-discuss] Support the Unholy Alliance

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 2 20:02:12 CDT 2010

[The Holy Alliance (resp. the Grand Alliance) was a coalition of Russia, Austria
and Prussia created in 1815 by Czar Alexander I. Austrian minister von
Metternich (Henry Kissinger's dissertation subject) made it an alliance against
the influence of democracy and revolution, as represented by the French
Revolution. It dispersed with Alexander's death in 1825.  The coming Unholy
Alliance in American politics, in contrast, stands for democracy and the
overthrow of imperialist politics. It is deeply subversive of the sort of
politics Lindsay Graham and Barack Obama stand for.]

	Graham fears left, right in 'unholy alliance' on Afghanistan
	From CNN Associate Producer Martina Stewart

Washington (CNN) - A prominent Republican on the Senate Armed Services Committee
is praising President Barack Obama's approach to fighting terrorism in Pakistan.

However, Sen. Lindsey Graham, R-South Carolina, is also worried that
conservatives and liberals could join forces to undermine Obama's efforts in
Afghanistan.

Obama has set July 2011 as the target date to begin to draw down the additional
troops he's surged into Afghanistan. But, in an interview broadcast Sunday on
CNN's "State of the Union," Graham predicted that conditions may not allow the
troops to begin to come home by that date.

"[G]enerally speaking, this time next summer, we're still going to be engaged in
one hell of a fight," Graham said. "We're going to need every troop we have
today, I think, still in Afghanistan next year."

According to Graham, it will be clear by the end of this year where things stand
in Afghanistan.

"If, by December, we're not showing some progress, we're in trouble," he said.
"And the question is: what is progress? Without some benchmarks and
measurements, it's going to be hard to sell to the American people a continued
involvement in Afghanistan."

Asked about the growing tide of sentiment against the Afghanistan war,
particularly among Obama's base of supporters and some Democrats on Capitol
Hill, Graham said he is worried about conservative and liberal forces joining
together to frustrate Obama's efforts to stabilize Afghanistan.

"You know what I worry most about: an unholy alliance between the right and the
left," Graham said. "That there are some Republicans who are not going to take
a, you know, do-or-die attitude for Obama's war. There are some Republicans that
want to make this Obama's war. . . There will be some Republicans saying you
can't win because of the July 2011 withdrawal date, he's made it impossible for
us to win, so why should we throw good money after bad?"

Graham added that liberals could also refuse to back the president's plans in
Afghanistan.

"You've got people on the left who are mad with the president because he is
doing exactly what [former President George W.] Bush did and we're in a war we
can't win," Graham said, adding: "My concern is that, for different reasons,
they join forces and we lose the ability to hold this thing together."

But, Graham said, he thinks the president understands the consequences of losing
in Afghanistan.

"He's got a political problem. But we've got a national security problem," the
Republican senator said.

Graham also said that the situations in Afghanistan and neighboring Pakistan are
linked when it comes to national security.

"How do you win in Pakistan if you lose in Afghanistan?" Graham said. "And I
asked the president that. How can we be successful in Pakistan, protect that
regime from extremists, if all goes to hell in Afghanistan?"

While Graham expressed concern about the short and long-term situations in
Afghanistan, he offered praise for what Obama is doing across the border in
Pakistan.

"Things generally are the best they've been with Pakistan in a long time,"
Graham said. "And this is one area where President Obama doesn't get enough
credit. His team, in my view, have brought out the Pakistanis into the fight
better than anybody in recent memory. They're cooperating with us more."

Graham added: "So I would say that the Obama administration has done a very good
job at taking the fight to the enemy in Pakistan and trying to bolster the
Pakistanis' capability to take the fight to the enemy."

In addition to sitting on the Senate Armed Services Committee, Graham is also a
member of the Senate Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs Committee and
the Veterans Affairs Committee.

Graham has served active duty in the military as an Air Force lawyer and
continues to serve in the Air Force Reserves. He holds the rank of colonel and
is assigned as an instructor at the Air Force Judge Advocate General School.
Graham said he will be going to Afghanistan to do his reserve duty during the
upcoming Senate recess in August.

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2010/08/01/graham-fears-left-right-in-unholy-alliance-on-afghanistan/?fbid=h7cHyuKRrXc