[Peace-discuss] Common opinions - basis for a new politics?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Jan 2 15:51:34 CST 2010

I think you're quite right about the 2000 election. People forget that perhaps
the most attractive part of Bush's 2000 campaign was his opposition to the
Clinton/Gore administration's war on Serbia (about which Gore was even more
bloodthirsty than Clinton).  Bush attacked Gore's "nation-building" - pointing
out that it was a euphemism - and Gore had no answer except Clinton's lies about
the war (which I satirized at the time in a piece that's still on the web -- ah,
there it is: "Japan Bombs New Mexico"<http://www.tmcrew.org/news/nato/sat.htm>).

I don't agree about 9/11.  To me it's a counter-blow in the generation-long
invasion of the Mideast by the US - one that the US did not take effective steps
to prevent because it needed a casus belli other than the real one: control of
resources. It was the "second Pearl Harbor" that the neocons wanted - and in
this similar to the first one (and to, e.g., Fort Sumter). For practically the
first time, "the guns were pointed in the other direction" - that's the  crazy
conspiracy theory that recommends itself to me.

And I think you're right about free markets.  It's a incantation from the
propaganda structure of Neoliberalism (as discussed by David Green on the last
News from Neptune), which was surely a zombie in that it ate the brains of US
academics and policy makers for a generation.  We can hope that Alice's splendid
youthful optimism proves correct.  --CGE