[Peace-discuss] "Support"

Brussel Morton K. mkbrussel at comcast.net
Wed Jul 28 23:53:33 CDT 2010

Wayne,

Libertarians of the world unite…

What does "Even I…" mean? Who else was in your camp at the AWARE meetings where these things were argued?

What does "support" mean to you? Support because of agreement, or support in the sense of the better of two appalling choices?

My position on Obama was simply that he was a better bet than a rogue McCain, that there was always some hope in uncertainty as to how Obama would act if elected. In uncertainty hope has a chance. I expressly said, more than once, that Obama was likely to be, and was looking dreadful—a weasel like Bill Clinton—, given his positions on Afghanistan, the Patriot Act,  the Wright affair, and those whom he chose as advisors. My position was almost identical to that of Paul Street, whom you can consult; certainly no "supporter" of Obama.  To have been more fearful of a McCain presidency did not in any sense imply that Obama was a candidate in which one could have confidence; he simply seemed the preferable of two egregious choices at a crucial time, hardly a choice at all.

Which is why I voted for Mckinney, someone with whom I could agree.

Carl's guru Chomsky said essentially the same thing.

That Obama has turned out to have been a better bet than McCain is probably still a reasonable, if execrable, bet; both looked like would-be hawks and defenders of the imperium. One however, especially looked better to me on domestic issues (and didn't choose as a vice presidential comrade a Sarah Palin).

--mkb