[Peace-discuss] Tea Party Non-negotiable core beliefs

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.illinois.edu
Thu Nov 11 18:21:29 CST 2010

On Thu, Nov 11, 2010 at 04:13:18PM -0600, Karen Medina wrote:
> The thing that gets me is that I cannot find a single Tea Party group
> that says they are anti-war.
> They all mention anti-immigrant.
>
> Ron Paul is one person. Not a group.

He does have followers who agree with him on anti-interventionist
anti-imperial issues.   But it's a great question as to how influential
they are among mobilized Tea Party people.

I didn't have a chance to attend either of the local Tea Party
candidates' forum sessions, which included state and Federal candidates.
Did anyone else here?   They only allowed 3 questions per candidate, so
it was much briefer than the LWV/NAACP forum.   But I'd love to know
what sorts of questions they asked.

Looking through threads on the Ron Paul forum, I saw this one,
though no one followed up on it:

    http://www.ronpaulforum.com/showthread.php?t=311347

    Every year since 1949, the US has given approximately 1-3 billion dollars
    in "aid" to the state of Israel. (Two sources for this figure are below.)

    What benefit do you believe the US taxpayer recieve from this effort?

A good question, but scanning quickly, it seems to be the only one of its
kind from this year -- foreign policy and war don't seem to be high priorities
of the people posting there.

Ron Paul himself, in a piece just this week,
   http://www.campaignforliberty.com/article.php?view=1191
       Reject the Welfare/Warfare State
writes
   The annual budget soon will be $5 trillion unless Congress takes
   serious steps to reduce spending for entitlements, military, and
   debt service.   Yet how many Tea Party candidates who campaigned on
   a platform of spending cuts talked about Social Security, Medicare,
   foreign wars, or bond debt?