[Peace-discuss] Fw: Holding the line [on net neutrality]

Jenifer Cartwright jencart13 at yahoo.com
Mon Nov 22 21:32:28 CST 2010

Fyi

--- On Mon, 11/22/10, James Rucker, ColorOfChange.org <info at colorofchange.org> wrote:
#yiv516387822 , #yiv516387822 td, #yiv516387822 font {font-size:10pt;}
#yiv516387822
#yiv516387822 td p {margin:0em;}
#yiv516387822 p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv516387822 td div p {margin:1em 0em;}
#yiv516387822
#yiv516387822 .yiv516387822X0uMP p {margin:1em 0;}

Dear Jenifer,

If we don't act quickly, Congressman Bobby Rush — a longtime opponent of a free and open Internet — could become a key leader on the House panel in charge of telecommunications.1 It could spell disaster for net neutrality.

The new Republican majority is certain to continue to assault Internet freedom — and the House Communications, Technology and the Internet (CTI) Subcommittee is the first line of defense. Not only is Rush one of Congress' biggest recipients of telecom industry donations — he has previously worked with Republicans to kill net neutrality.2

Speaker Nancy Pelosi has the ability to influence leadership assignments, and she should know that Rep. Rush is not fit to lead the committee with power over network neutrality.

Can you call Speaker Pelosi today and urge her to oppose Bobby Rush's bid for this key position?
202-225-0100 (if after 3pm PT/6pm ET call 415-556-4862)

Here's a sample script you can use:

I'm calling to ask Speaker Pelosi to oppose Bobby Rush's bid to become ranking member of the House Subcommittee on Communications, Technology, and the Internet. CTI needs a leader who will stand up for an open Internet, but Congressman Rush's record shows that he's the wrong person for the job.

After you've called, please click below to let us know how it went:

http://www.colorofchange.org/rushcalls/?id=2143-1141418

Congressman Rush has repeatedly supported the interests of the telecommunications industry over the interests of regular people, and he has been a fierce opponent of network neutrality. In 2006, Rush worked with Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) to kill a key network neutrality amendment. And in the last year, he has supported multiple efforts by Rep. Gene Green (D-Texas) to prevent the FCC from instituting network neutrality rules.

In addition, Rush has been a major recipient of telecom contributions. AT&T, America's oldest and largest telecommunications company, has long been one of the largest donors to his campaign coffers. And from 2001 to 2004 the company donated $1 million to a community center Rush founded in Chicago — an off-the-books donation that raises further questions about the Congressman's independence.3

Speaker Pelosi earlier promised that any legislation to gut net neutrality is "not going to be a Democratic initiative." But letting Rush assume leadership in the CTI Subcommittee would a send a message that Congressional Democrats just aren't serious about Internet freedom.

Please call her, and let her know that Rush is not an acceptable choice for this key position:
202-225-0100 (if after 3pm PT/6pm ET call 415-556-4862)

After you've called, please click below to let us know how it went:

http://www.colorofchange.org/rushcalls/?id=2143-1141418

Thanks and Peace,

-- James, Gabriel, William, Dani, Natasha and the rest of the ColorOfChange.org team

   November 22nd, 2010
Help support our work. ColorOfChange.org is powered by YOU — your energy and dollars. We take no money from lobbyists or large corporations that don't share our values, and our tiny staff ensures your contributions go a long way. You can contribute here:

https://secure.colorofchange.org/contribute/