[Peace-discuss] fourth amendment, and more, violated.

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 24 00:41:28 CST 2010

Mort, are you really urging acceptance of the following?

       TSA Gestapo Empire
       Paul Craig Roberts
       Nov 23, 2010

It doesn't take a bureaucrat long to create an empire. John Pistole, the FBI
agent who took over the Transportation Security Administration on July 1 told
USA Today 16 days later that protecting trains and subways from terrorist
attacks will be as high a priority for him as air travel.
It is difficult to imagine New Yorkers being porno-screened and sexually groped
on crowed subway platforms or showing up an hour or two in advance for clearance
for a 15 minute subway ride, but once bureaucrats get the bit in their teeth
they take absurdity to its logical conclusion. Buses will be next, although it
is even more difficult to imagine open air bus stops turned into security zones
with screeners and gropers inspecting passengers before they board.
Will taxi passengers be next?  In those Muslim lands whose citizens the US
government has been slaughtering for years, favorite weapons for retaliating
against the Americans are car and truck bombs. How long before Pistole announces
that the TSA Gestapo is setting up roadblocks on city streets, highways and
interstates to check cars for bombs?
That 15 minute trip to the grocery store then becomes an all day affair.
Indeed, it has already begun. Last September agents from Homeland Security, TSA,
and the US Department of Transportation, assisted by the Douglas County
Sheriff's Office, conducted a counter-terrorism operation on busy Interstate 20
just west of Atlanta, Georgia. Designated VIPER (Visible Inter-mobile Prevention
and Response), the operation required all trucks to stop to be screened for
bombs. Federal agents used dogs, screening devices, and a large drive-through
bomb detection machine. Imagine what the delays did to delivery schedules and
truckers' bottom lines.
There are also news reports of federal trucks equipped with backscatter X-ray
devices that secretly scan cars and pedestrians.
With such expensive counter-terrorism activities, both in terms of the
hard-pressed taxpayers' money and civil liberties, one would think that bombs
were going off all over America.  But, of course, they aren't. There has not
been a successful terrorist act since 9/11, and thousands of independent experts
doubt the government's explanation of that event.
Subsequent domestic terrorist events have turned out to be FBI sting operations
in which FBI agents organize not-so-bright disaffected members of society and
lead them into displaying interest in participating in a terrorist act.  Once
the FBI agent, pretending to be a terrorist, succeeds in prompting all the right
words to be said and captured on his hidden recorder, the "terrorists" are
arrested and the "plot" exposed.
The very fact that the FBI has to orchestrate fake terrorism proves the absence
of real terrorists.
If Americans were more thoughtful and less gullible, they might wonder why all
the emphasis on transportation when there are so many soft targets.  Shopping
centers, for example. If there were enough terrorists in America to justify the
existence of Homeland Security, bombs would be going off round the clock in
shopping malls in every state. The effect would be far more terrifying than
blowing up an airliner.
Indeed, if terrorists want to attack air travelers, they never need to board an
airplane.
All they need to do is to join the throngs of passengers waiting to go through
the TSA scanners and set off their bombs. The TSA has conveniently assembled the
targets.
The final proof that there are no terrorists is that not a single
neoconservative or government official responsible for the Bush regime's
invasions of Iraq and Afghanistan and the Obama regime's slaughters of
Pakistanis, Yemenis, and Somalians has been assassinated.  None of these
Americans who are responsible for lies, deceptions, and invasions that have
destroyed the lives of countless numbers of Muslims have any security
protection. If Muslims were capable of pulling off 9/11, they are certainly
capable of assassinating Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz, Perle, Feith, Libby, Condi Rice,
Kristol, Bolton, Goldberg, and scores of others during the same hour of the same
day.
I am not advocating that terrorists assassinate anyone. I am just making the
point that if the US was as overrun with terrorists as empire-building
bureaucrats pretend, we would definitely be experiencing dramatic terrorist
acts. The argument is not believable that a government that was incapable of
preventing 9/11 is so all-knowing that it can prevent assassination of
unprotected neocons and shopping malls from being bombed.
If Al Qaeda was anything like the organization that the US government claims, it
would not be focused on trivial targets such as passenger airliners. The
organization, if it exists, would be focused on its real enemies. Try to imagine
the propaganda value of terrorists wiping out the neoconservatives in one fell
swoop, followed by an announcement that every member of the federal government
down to the lowest GS, every member of the House and Senate, and every governor
was next in line to be bumped off.
This would be real terrorism instead of the make-belief stuff associated with
shoe bombs that don't work, underwear bombs that independent experts say could
not work, and bottled water and shampoo bombs that experts say cannot possibly
be put together in airliner lavatories.
Think about it.  Would a terror organization capable of outwitting all 16 US
intelligence agencies, all intelligence agencies of US allies including Israel's
Mossad, the National Security Council, NORAD, air traffic control, the Pentagon,
and airport security four times in one hour put its unrivaled prestige at risk
with improbable shoe bombs, shampoo bombs, and underwear bombs?
After success in destroying the World Trade Center and blowing up part of the
Pentagon, it is an extraordinary comedown to go after a mere airliner.  Would a
person who gains fame by knocking out the world heavyweight boxing champion make
himself a laughing stock by taking lunch money from school boys?
TSA is a far greater threat to Americans than are terrorists. Pistole has given
the finger to US senators and representatives, state legislators, and the
traveling public who have expressed their views that virtual strip searches and
sexual molestation are too high a price to pay for "security."  Indeed, the TSA
with its Gestapo attitude and methods, is succeeding in making Americans more
terrified of the TSA than they are of terrorists.
Make up your own mind.  What terrifies you the most.  Terrorists, who in all
likelihood you will never encounter in your lifetime, or the TSA that you will
encounter every time you fly and soon, according to Pistole, every time you take
a train, a subway, or drive in a car or truck?
Before making up your mind, consider this report from antiwar.com on November
19: "TSA officials say that anyone refusing both the full body scanners and the
enhanced pat down procedures will be taken into custody. Once there the
detainees will not only be barred from flying, but will be held indefinitely as
suspected terrorists . . . One sheriff's office said they were already preparing
to handle a large number of detainees and plan to treat them as terror suspects."
Who is cowing Americans into submission, terrorists or the TSA Gestapo?
Dr. Paul Craig Roberts is the father of Reaganomics and the former head of
policy at the Department of Treasury. He is a columnist and was previously an
editor for the Wall Street Journal. His latest book, "How the Economy Was Lost:
The War of the Worlds," details why America is disintegrating.