[Peace-discuss] supporting Bradley Manning, accused wikileaker, Sep 16-19

Stuart Levy slevy at ncsa.uiuc.edu
Thu Sep 16 18:22:39 CDT 2010

This week -- today through Sunday -- are a time of national support for
Bradley Manning, who is accused of leaking the "collateral murder"
video to wikileaks.  This is the US Army video, taken from a helicopter
in Iraq, of US soldiers in helicopters shooting unarmed civilians and
laughing about it.   There are events across the US about this:

    http://www.bradleymanning.org/days-of-action/

Today I carried a sign and tried flyering on the Quad for an hour
or so around noon, using flyers from here:
   http://www.bradleymanning.org/wiki/index.php?title=Outreach_Material#Flyers
specifically:
   http://www.bradleymanning.org/wiki/index.php?title=File:BMSN_Flyer_double-sided-080510.doc

Anyone want to flyer on the Quad tomorrow?  I've got
some smallish signs and am about to make more flyers.

On the Quad there were some interesting interactions today...
one with a Palestinian/Lebanese student who had been in Lebanon during
the 2006 Israeli bombardment (he may come to some of our meetings);
one with someone who said he supported the Iraq war (he has a
carefully thought out theory of violence, I think he said),
but agreed that whistleblowing to report misdeeds was necessary
and should be protected; one with a sympathetic guy who was in the
midst of reading Brave New World; and others.  I recommend it.