[Peace-discuss] Fwd: Richard Dawkins Furious At Pope For TyingGodless To Nazis

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Mon Sep 20 14:10:01 CDT 2010

  Mort--

[1] I take it that you're volunteering for the panel "Ditchkins and the Pope
(and God)" that I'm putting together for News from Neptune on UPTV (date TBA).

I envision four participants - I mean local participants (i.e., not Dawkins,
Hitchens, Benedict, & God) - of which you and I are two, discussing the
following four texts:

--R. Dawkins, "The God Delusion";

--C. Hitchens, "God is Not Great";

--P. Benedict, "Caritas in veritate" (his economic manifesto - in English); and

--T. Eagleton (standing in for God), "Reason, Faith, and Revolution: Reflections
on the God Debate."

Perhaps you can suggest other discussants, or they may volunteer themselves.

[2] Far from being “a despicable outrage,” the paragraph from the pope that "set
off Dawkins" contains the following true statements:

"...a Nazi tyranny ... denied our common humanity to many, especially the
Jews...; [and]

"...Christian pastors and religious who spoke the truth in love [and] opposed
the Nazis ... paid for that opposition with their lives..."

- and the following debatable one (true I think as the Marxists say "in the last
instance"):

"...the exclusion of God, religion and virtue from public life leads ultimately
to a truncated vision of man and of society..."

But that last after all was what he was trying to convince people of.  Let's
discuss it.

Regards, Carl