[Peace-discuss] 5 Myths re Why the South Seceded (James Loewen)

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Apr 10 09:18:45 CDT 2011

Societies are defined by how the ruling class gets enough to eat.  The American
civil war was a conflict between two ways of doing that.

Two dominant political groups, one primarily resident North of the Mason-Dixon
Line and the other south of it, competed because they profited from two
different and incompatible ways of exploiting labor - by renting it or owning it
(i.e., by chattel-slavery or wage-contract).  Extracting surplus value from the
direct producer could be done ether way, but probably not by a mixture of both.

That's what Lincoln meant when he said in 1858, "I believe this government
cannot endure, permanently half slave and half free ... it will cease to be
divided. It will become all one thing or all the other ... Either the opponents
of slavery, will arrest the further spread of it, and place it where the public
mind shall rest in the belief that it is in the course of ultimate extinction;
or its advocates will push it forward, till it shall become alike lawful in all
the States, old as well as new --- North as well as South."

("Free" labor has a technical meaning - it refers to the labor of those who have
no right to live without working for their masters, i.e., those to whom the
society had no responsibility.)

The Southern ruling class understood that the new Republican party, with its
central plank of "no extension of slavery" was the vehicle of the northern
ruling class and wage-slavery, as opposed to their form of slavery. When its
candidate was elected president, the the rulers of the Southern states knew an
attack was imminent and declared their independence - as these governments had
done three generations earlier, in 1776.

Gen. Winfield Scott, the leading US military figure - his generation's George
Washington - wrote on the day before Lincoln's inauguration (March 3, 1861) and
suggested the new president could conquer the Southern states at the end of a
long, expensive, and desolating war, and to no good purpose; or he could say to
the seceded States, "Wayward sisters, depart in peace!"

Lincoln chose the former, and Scott was retired.

That Lincoln understood what was at stake in his state-building is clear from
his first State of the Union address:
<http://www.presidentialrhetoric.com/historicspeeches/lincoln/stateoftheunion1861.html>.