[Peace-discuss] Lakoff Idiocy

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Feb 20 16:45:57 CST 2011

It is pretty silly - it reminds of things we used to see in school in Cold War
America - "What Do Communists Believe?" (nothing good.)  Only here
"Conservatives" are the bete noire - as if the world of political opinion were
divided between two ideal types, which exhaust the possibilities.  What nonsense.

But I need to invoke News From Neptune's "Incompleteness Principle" (viz. & to
wit, "No One Can Be Wrong All The Time").  There's actually one good paragraph
in this mishigas, viz & to wit:

"Democrats help radical conservatives by accepting the deficit frame and arguing
about what to cut. Even arguing against specific 'cuts' is working within the
conservative frame. What is the alternative? Pointing out what conservatives
really want. Point out that there is plenty of money in America, and in
Wisconsin. It is at the top. The disparity in financial assets is un-American --
the top one percent has more financial assets than the bottom 95 percent. Middle
class wages have been flat for 30 years, while the wealth has floated to the top."

Ignore the "frame" nonsense.  He means rightly that there is no deficit
problem.  "Deficit" stands for the difference between government revenues and
expenditures.   The later often exceeds the former, and the government borrows
to make up the difference.

It needn't. The government should tax away the money it needs from the very rich
rather than borrowing it from the same people and paying them interest!

A 15% tax on investible assets (as opposed to income or even net worth) over $1
million would have eliminated last year's deficit - and 99% of Americans would
have been exempted from that tax.

Of course the budget should be adjusted - and not because of a deficit - but in
ways just opposite to what the Obama administration is actually doing. To
reverse the American bromide, "Millions for tribute to human needs, not one
penny for defense!" --CGE