[Peace-discuss] Be careful what you assume…

David Green davegreen84 at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 20 14:24:02 CST 2011

Pragmatically, the antiwar movement needs all of the help it can get. The
question is whether one can have a successful movement when some of its allies
are unprincipled in their professed opposition to war, wars, or a war. In
relation to left-libertarian alliances I don't see this as a problem, although
apparently some do, because libertarians are by-and-large principled opponents
of foreign intervention. In relation to Coulter, etc., I do see it as a problem,
since they only admit to the "mistakes" of fighting a particular war, but
essentially support the notion of intervention and militarism, on "principle."
What does the anti-war movement become when it allies itself with those who are
essentially pro-war? Certainly, it loses analytical clarity in relation to the
value of human life. Does the end justify the means? "Pragmatic" opposition to
the Vietnam War contributed to ending the war, but it perpetuated the foreign
policy "principles" that led to subsequent wars.

DG