[Peace-discuss] Be careful what you assume…

E.Wayne Johnson ewj at pigs.ag
Thu Jan 20 18:11:34 CST 2011

The characteristic of bullying is to pick a fight over a minor infraction.  Many evaluate human life in relativistic terms.  Certainly American lives are made to be much more valuable in the popular commerce than those of enemies and those who are slaughtered, butchered, tortured, starved, or worse, by american "principles"

Bullies dont have much concern about the value of the life that is the object of their bullying.  I agree that valuing life, even the life of non-americans is an important fundamental.

But if we are going to insist on everyone having absolute ideologic purity on our pet issues while we at the same time insist on them overlooking our blind spots and ideologic pecadilloes, we will have trouble reaching any sort of viable critical mass.  I think that people can be accepted into the anti-war movement even if they disapprove of violence and bombing of public buildings.

We have these concerns that we have about people who belong to or sort of belong to or might get sorted into various ideologic groups or sets, and it's more convenient for us to say that "they ain't like us" than it is for us to try to figure out what who they really are.  We tend to forget that people do make mistakes, and even admit it on rare occasions, particularly if we dont insist on continually dipping their noses into their "accidents".

People can change their minds.  If every one who disagrees with us is a Hopeless Case, then War and Extermination and Purging is the only way to a better world.  Some people dont have their ideologies well established.  It seems that most people don't.

Anyway, I think that americans miss black and white TV, the HowdyDoody Show, and brand new red 1957 Chevrolet Nomads and that accounts for most of the popularity of the fellow that my grandfather called "Baldy Eisenhower", and his warning about the militaryindustrialcomplex is an excuse for lapses into nostalgia.