[Peace-discuss] who wants a US Boat to Gaza t-shirt?

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 6 21:31:50 CDT 2011

“For a /large/ class of cases—though not for all—in which we employ the word
‘meaning’ it can be defined thus: the meaning of a word is its use in the
language” (Wittgenstein).  When investigating meaning, says Ludwig, the
philosopher must “look and see” the variety of uses to which the word is put. He
actually says,  “Don't think but look!”  In giving the meaning of a word, he
thinks any explanatory generalization should be replaced by a description of
use, which is what Chomsky seems to me to be doing here.