[Peace-discuss] Japanese warning

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sat Mar 12 21:02:18 CST 2011

Published on Saturday, March 12, 2011 by Agence France-Presse
US Experts: 'Chernobyl-Like' Crisis for Japan ‎

WASHINGTON - US nuclear experts warned Saturday that pumping sea water to cool a
quake-hit Japanese nuclear reactor was an "act of desperation" that may
foreshadow a Chernobyl-like disaster.

Several experts, in a conference call with reporters, also predicted that
regardless of the outcome at the Fukushima No. 1 atomic plant crisis, the
accident will seriously damage the nuclear power renaissance.

"The situation has become desperate enough that they apparently don't have the
capability to deliver fresh water or plain water to cool the reactor and
stabilize it, and now, in an act of desperation, are having to resort to
diverting and using sea water," said Robert Alvarez, who works on nuclear
disarmament at the Institute for Policy Studies.

"I would describe this measure as a 'Hail Mary' pass," added Alvarez, using
American football slang for a final effort to win the game as time expires.

An 8.9 magnitude earthquake that struck Japan on Friday set off the emergency at
the plant, which was then hit by an explosion Saturday that prompted an
evacuation of the surrounding area.

Workers doused the stricken reactor with sea water to try to avert catastrophe,
after the quake knocked out power to the cooling system.

What occurred at the plant was a "station blackout," which is the loss of
offsite air-conditioning power combined with the failure of onsite power, in
this case diesel generators.

"It is considered to be extremely unlikely but the station blackout has been one
of the great concerns for decades," said Ken Bergeron, a physicist who has
worked on nuclear reactor accident simulation.

"We're in uncharted territory," he said.

The reactor has been shut down but the concern is the heat in the core, which
can melt if it's not cooled. If the core melts through the reactor vessel,
Bergeron explained, it could flow onto the floor of the containment building. If
that happens, the structure likely will fail, the experts said.

"The containment building at this plant is certainly stronger than that at
Chernobyl but a lot less strong than at Three Mile Island, so time will tell,"
he said.

Peter Bradford, former head of the US Nuclear Regulatory Commission, said that
if the cooling attempts fail, "at that point it's a Chernobyl-like situation
where you start dumping in sand and cement."

The two worst nuclear accidents on record are the 1986 Chernobyl disaster in
Ukraine and the partial core meltdown of the Three Mile Island reactor in the US
state of Pennsylvania in 1979.

Another expert said the Japanese accident will rank as one of the three worst in
history.

"If it continues, if they don't get control of this and... we go from a partial
meltdown of the core to a full meltdown, this will be a complete disaster,"
Joseph Cirincione, the head of the Ploughshares Fund, said in an interview on CNN.

Cirincione faulted Japanese authorities for providing partial and conflicting
information about what was happening at the plant.

Cirincione said the presence of radioactive cesium in the atmosphere after the
plant was vented indicated that a partial meltdown was underway.

"That told the operators that the fuel rods had been exposed, that the water
level had dropped below the fuel rods and the fuel rods were starting to burn,
releasing cesium," he said.

Japan's nuclear safety agency rated the Fukushima accident at four on the
International Nuclear Event Scale from 0 to 7, meaning an accident "with local
consequences," an official said Sunday.

The Three Mile Island accident was rated five while Chernobyl was a seven.

The government declared an atomic emergency and said tens of thousands of people
living within 12 miles (20 kilometers) of the plant should leave after an
explosion at the nuclear plant Saturday.

"This is obviously a significant setback for the so-called nuclear renaissance,"
said Bradford, the former NRC commissioner.

"The image of a nuclear power plant blowing up before your eyes on the
television screen is a first."

But a spokesman for the World Nuclear Association said in an interview with CBS
News that the threat of a full meltdown is minimal.

"I think that possibility is remote at the best of times and is diminishing by
the hour as the fuel gets cooler and generates less heat," said Ian Hore-Lacy,
spokesman for the industry organization.

© 2011 Agence France-Presse