[Peace-discuss] Appreciation of Chomsky by a Welsh student

C. G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Wed Mar 16 23:10:49 CDT 2011

    CHOMSKY IN CARDIFF | REVIEW

By admin <http://www.buzzmag.co.uk/author/admin/> ? March 13, 2011 ? Post a
comment
<http://www.buzzmag.co.uk/uncategorized/chomsky-in-cardiff-review/#comments>

*Noam Chomsky at The Pierhead Building, Cardiff Bay*

*Fri 11 Mar*

*/words:/ MAB JONES*

Chomsky is one of those names, like Lincoln, Einstein, or Gandhi, which garners
instant recognition. You read the guy at university; years later, having
forgotten what you learned, you buy yourself one of those 'Guide to' or
'Explained' books. Chomsky as thinker, Chomsky as economist -- a world-renowned
linguist_who, by brilliance alone, seems too faraway for most of us to ever
envisage as merely mortal, when so many immortal words and ideas have issued
from the man.

The winner of the Erich Fromm Prize, the Orwell Award,  the Benjamin Franklin
Medal, the Kyoto Prize, and voted leading living public intellectual in a 2005
poll, Chomsy is, still, just a guy. At 81 years old, he is as wonderfully sharp
and lucid as you would wish, with a friendly face and easy-going conversational
style that is both engaging and unpretentious. He seems unflustered by the long
list of accolades our questioner, Jane Davidson, reads with such juicy
appreciation in perfect politician's style. Chomsky doesn't use long words,
acronyms, indecipherable phraseology, or elusive economic terms. He explains
things in a simple way, in a calm voice, with interest, intelligence, and logic.
You feel inclined towards him -- he might be on a stage, but he doesn't take the
thing, and he certainly doesn't talk down to you, not once. It was more like
having a chat than a well-documented discussion, albeit a very intelligent one.

The range of topics, led by audience questions, was great -- we ran the gamut
from climate change (and its deniers), religious belief, dictatorship and
democracy, to language, communication, the control of information, and the
accumulation of knowledge itself. Particularly, Chomsky's views on that thing we
call 'democracy' were enlightening: making reference to Aristotle's 'Politics',
he pointed out that in the US, President Madison had come to the same conclusion
as Aristotle on the political model -- that democracy was a dangerous thing as,
if you gave every person the right to vote on policy, the poor and impoverished
would undoubtedly use their vote to take land from the rich in order to
re-distribute it. Madison's solution (and the approach favoured by the US and
Europe in modern times) was to make democracy less; whereas Aristotle's solution
was to decrease inequality.

Chomsky spoke eloquently on the ways in which Western governments sustain
themselves, through the encouragement of dictatorships in those countries which
might pose a threat, either directly or through the control of oil; and in the
suppression and distraction of its own citizens, with the protection of
information that might endanger the state, should you or I find out about it.
Security of state equals security against us, Chomsky argued, and people like
Julian Assange should receive more of our support. The changes in UK law after
07/07 have the potential to infringe upon our freedoms -- right now, for
example, a bookshop is being tried for simply allowing Jihadist material onto
its bookshelves. Freedom of speech, yes, but freedom of information? Perhaps not.

When asked what advice he would give to a young democracy such as ourselves,
Chomsky replied that we should "make it a /real/ democracy".  The greater the
power, the greater the potential for its misuse. Something to bear in mind.
However, I was pleased when Jane Davidson took the time to thank the person
responsible for the great man's visit to our country -- a young man sitting to
my right. Not a politician, or an ambassador; not one of the powerful-looking
men, but a hopeful, idealistic student. That such a modern icon should accept
the invitation of an earnest 'nobody', speaks volumes. A truly inspiring man,
and an event I -- and Wales -- won't ever forget.

http://www.buzzmag.co.uk/uncategorized/chomsky-in-cardiff-review/