[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Veterans to stage protest at Tim Johnson's office this Thursday on the Eve of Veterans' Day

C. G. ESTABROOK cge at shout.net
Mon Nov 7 14:43:16 CST 2011

Dear Sarah Lazare & D.M. Amerson:

As the host (for lack of a better term) of AWARE's regular weekly
cable TV program, "AWARE On The Air," I would like to invite you to
participate in the show to discuss IVAW's protest at Tim Johnson's
office on the Eve of Veterans' Day.

We record this week's program tomorrow (11/8) at 1pm at the Urbana
City Council chambers for cablecast at 10pm on channels 6 & 99 in C-U
(and then on the web).

AWARE of course is in general support of IVAW, but I think that in
this case you may have been misled, presumably by the local Democrats
and particularly perennial Congressional candidate David Gill.

Congressman Johnson voted for the invasion of Afghanistan in 2001 and
the invasion of Iraq in 2003 (although I told him not to, when I ran
against him as a Green in 2002). But - and this is important - Johnson
subsequently said that he was wrong to do so; pledged to vote for no
more money for war in the Mideast; and has in fact voted consistently
against war in the Mideast and North Africa. (He was one of ten
members of Congress - including Dennis Kucinich and Ron Paul - who
sued President Obama for violating the War Powers Act in attacking
Libya.)

But David Gill has refused to echo Johnson's pledge and to say that he
would vote against money for war, were he to be elected to Congress.
Since he's also unwilling to condemn Johnson's anti-war position
outright, he contends that he is condemning what he calls Tim's
refusal to vote for veterans' benefits (often of course included in
money for war).

Gill's mendacious position seems to have confused some people who
would presumably otherwise support Johnson's anti-war position (but
not of course his pro-austerity views).

It should be noted for example that "Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of
America" <http://iava.org/> - the purported source of the "veterans
report card" - is quite different from IVAW. In fact, IAVA is a well-
funded pro-war group. Its board of directors includes several Wall
Street investment bankers and the president emeritus of the Council on
Foreign Relations, Les Gelb, a long-time Pentagon and State Department
apparatchik who, during the 2011 Egyptian protests against President
Hosni Mubarak, was called by Salon.com "the Egyptian dictator's
freelance spokesman in America."

My guess is that the local IVAW got the information about the "report
card" from local Democrats associated with the Gill campaign and are
inadvertently using it to attack an opponent of the war, as IAVA
wishes. Certainly, veterans' benefits should be supported. But they
should not be used as a cover for more killing in Africa and Asia.

Best regards,
C. G. Estabrook

Begin forwarded message: