[Peace-discuss] [Peace] Veterans to stage protest at Tim Johnson's office this Thursday on the Eve of Veterans' Day

David Amerson d.m.amerson at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 15:04:57 CST 2011

C.G.-

 I'd be happy to do an interview. I would prefer to do so next week, after
the protest, so let me know if that's possible.

I would like to take this opportunity to address your concerns about
Democrats co-opting IVAW in any way, since it sounds like this is the
assumption you are working under.

 Not one of our members is in contact with local Dems or David Gill. Kudos
to Johnson for his stance on our occupation of Iraq and Afghanistan.
However, IVAW has three points of unity in our mission statement:

1. Immediate Withdrawal  of Occupying Troops from Iraq and Afghanistan
2. Reparations for human and structural damage in Iraq and Afghanistan
*3. Full benefits, adequate healthcare (including mental health), and other
supports for returning servicemen and women.*
*
*
It is to this last point that Johnson is an appropriate subject of protest
and public censure. IVAW is not singular in its pursuits, despite our
title. We explicitly advocate and act to effect policies that will allow
our veteran's to lead normal, healthy lives once they return from
deployment. All too often, politicians try to claim a "pro-veteran"
bonafide in their rhetoric, but their votes are anything but.

Tim Johnson, for instance, on his website claims that he has "paid special
attention to the needs of Veterans"
http://timjohnson.house.gov/index.cfm?sectionid=2&sectiontree=

yet, he voted NO on giving education benefits to children of fallen troops,

-HR. 2346 Vote 348

 NO to a mental health screening for troops returning home from deployment,

-HR 2647 Vote 770

and NO to Mortgage Relief for Deployed Troops, Veterans, and the Families
of those who were killed in action.

-HR 836 Vote 174
http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/F?r112:15:./temp/~r112qwcFMU:e175483:

among others. Any one of these votes would signal a contradiction to what
IVAW's mission statement declares, and would thus make the legislator the
target of a protest.

I don't think that you are seriously accusing IVAW of working in concert
with the Democratic party. I think IVAW has earned it's non-partisan
bona-fides. Further, I think it is readily apparent that Johnson, while
perhaps acting in the best interests of active-duty troops vis a vis
occupation of foreign nations, has not earned any support from ANY
veteran's group as to his voting record on issues dealing with veteran's
homelessness, mental illness, or economic well-being.

I would be happy to talk with you about this at anytime.

-David Amerson
 d.m.amerson at gmail.com
 (217)622-7929
*