[Peace-discuss] a note on Holocaust denial

David Gehrig david-cu at nukulele.org
Thu Nov 22 20:37:57 UTC 2012

Folks, some thoughts on Holocaust denial, from someone who's studied it
for fifteen years. It's going only to peace-discuss.

I think some background would be helpful here.

Holocaust denial is a conspiracy theory of neo-Nazi origins claiming
that literally millions of Jews have secretly collaborated on a global
fraud orders of magnitude larger and more complex than any James Bond
villain could even dream of.

Intellectually, it's on par with the folks who think that NASA and
Stanley Kubrick faked the moon landing. But on top of its idiocy, it
adds a thick, wide, and inescapable layer of antisemitic wackdoodlism.

Here's what I mean. The Watergate scandal involved under fifty
conspirators, was protected by the most powerful man in the world, but
it still rattled apart in just two years. The conspiracy theory that
Holocaust deniers push requires not fifty Jews, not five hundred Jews,
not five thousand Jews, not fifty thousand Jews, not five hundred
thousand Jews, but five million Jews -- roughly a quarter of the world's
Jewish population -- to stick impeccably to a criminal script flawlessly
for over sixty years. As such, it ascribes to the Jews an inexplicable
and inhuman capacity for criminality of the largest imaginable
dimensions.

What would you say to someone who tells you that one quarter of all
people of Italian descent are active in the Cosa Nostra? You would
rightly assail his idiocy, his paranoia, and his bigotry. Yet this is
not that different from what Holocaust deniers claim about the world's
Jews.

It is like a burning cross. There is no dignified way to turn your eyes
and pretend you didn't see it when it happens in your own town.

If there is interest, I'd be happy to give a talk on the topic -- its
neo-Nazi origins, and its attempt in the mid-2000's to repaint itself as
"anti-Zionist" rather than "pro-Adolf" in order to try recruiting on the
progressive left, while telling exactly the same lies. Few on the left
have been fooled. But, as we have learned locally, few is not none.

David @%<