[Peace-discuss] [sf-core] Re: [OccupyCU] AMMONS vs. ROSENBERG Debate Results

David Johnson davidjohnson1451 at comcast.net
Fri Feb 7 02:02:29 UTC 2014

Carl,

I am opposed to corporate subsidies unless they provide good paying
full-time jobs or some other direct, quality, verifiable benefit to the
community.
I would prefer no corporate subsidies and instead give subsidies only to
worker owned and operated cooperative, but at this point anyway, that is
probably the best that can happen. For Now anyway.

I totaly agree with Durl's report and in fact read it on the World Labor
Hour last Saturday. If I was on the city Council I would have opposed ALL of
the recent corporate subsidies given by the city ;

1) Worden Martin Car Dealership - pay your own moving expenses. If they want
to move their dealership to Danville or Decatur, go for it !

2) Hyatt Hotel in downtown Champaign -
NO !  If you don't build, some other hotel chain will since it is the
downtown Champaign nightlife area that attracts visitors and tourists NOT
your hotel.

3) Kraft Foods - That is a current employer with over 1300 jobs. Not such an
easy decision, however, I would have stated that they need to eliminate all
of their part-time temp help at minimum wage and hire full time help at a
minimum starting pay of  $ 15.00 per hour with regular annual wage increases
up to $ 25.00 per hour within four years and provide health care for free.
Otherwise go somewhere else. They would probably not move since that is very
expensive, but regardless Kraft should have been a negotiated line in the
sand if they wanted the 3.5 million dollars. But of course Gerard and the
other corporate hacks on the council just handed over the money and
propogated Kraft's propoganda that they supposedly in this university city
not find competant employees who are qualified...bullshit !

So i agree with Carol's technology zone plan because as I posted in the last
e-mail,  it has specific conditions that must be met in regards to full time
above living wage employment, BUT, I do agree with you Carl that any such
future program MUST be transparent and open to public scrutinity in each and
every case before any money is handed over.
Also, Carol calls for a progressive income tax ( she had a hand out for that
too last night with specific tax percentages for income levels.) So that
corresponds to your policy suggestions.

In terms of the Illinois Universal healthcare Act ( H.B. 942 ) and the IL.
House Bill to disolve the Illinois Charter school commission I have yet to
hear Carol's opinion. But I cannot imagine her being opposed.

So again, we could do a LOT worse with Rosenberg and his proposed policies.
Not to mention, I have known Carol for over ten years, so I do know her
track record. Rosenberg is a corporate attorney who takes poor people to
court to collect unpaid hospital bills.
Not to mention, the News Gazette and the Democratic party establishment (
Laurel Prussing, Naomi Jackobsen, Steve Becket, JUlia Rietz ) are all
opposing and attacking Carol.
THat alone would be reason enough for me to support her.

David Johnson