[Peace-discuss] [Peace] MoveOn Members On Bernie Sanders: 'He'll Say No to Permanent War'

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Jan 14 09:47:30 EST 2016

Moving this to peace-discuss - that's what it's for, to enable us to
publicly insult each other without annoying too many people in the process.
;)

I didn't see KvH as attaching herself to a particular causation story. The
KvH piece linked to appeared in the Washington Post on December 22,
following the third Democratic debate, which had taken place the previous
Saturday in New Hampshire:

A vigorous foreign-policy debate between Clinton and Sanders
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/a-vigorous-foreign-policy-debate-between-clinton-and-sanders/2015/12/22/05d8eb92-a819-11e5-bff5-905b92f5f94b_story.html

Here is the WaPo transcript of that debate:

3rd Democratic debate transcript, annotated: Who said what and what it meant
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2015/12/19/3rd-democratic-debate-transcript-annotated-who-said-what-and-what-it-meant/

At the time KvH wrote that, it was an accurate summary of the dynamics in
mainstream media. Among many, many examples that appeared in the previous
month:

Sanders knocked off stride by foreign policy focus
The Vermont senator suddenly finds himself forced to deviate from an
economic message he's been honing for decades.
By Gabriel Debenedetti
11/16/15 06:51 PM EST
Updated 11/16/15 09:41 PM EST
http://www.politico.com/story/2015/11/bernie-sanders-foreign-policy-paris-215937

In fact, as I was writing my piece, I wanted to make the same point that
she made, and at first I was going to do it by citing pieces like the
Politico piece, but then as I was searching for such pieces, I came across
KvH's piece, so I thought: instead of referring to a bunch of these pieces,
I can save time and space by just referring to this KvH one that summarizes
them all.

Whatever one thinks of Obama, it's just about certain that he's going to be
President for one more year and no more. It's just about certain that he's
going to be replaced by Clinton or Sanders or Trump or Cruz or Rubio. And
this is what most Americans who care a lot about politics are focused on
right now, in the two weeks remaining before the Iowa caucus: not on Obama,
but on what comes after.

The story that MoveOn members told when they voted to endorse Sanders is a
very different story from that presented by mainstream media, one in which
Democratic voters are looking for someone who will avoid war rather than
someone who has foreign policy experience. That's what I wanted to
highlight in this piece:

[...]

This suggests that the result of the Iowa caucus could upend not only the
national media narrative about the candidates, but also the national media
narrative about what Democratic voters are looking for from candidates on
foreign policy. If Sanders wins Iowa with MoveOn's support, then MoveOn
could use this to credibly claim, as vanden Heuvel suggested, that on
foreign policy Democratic voters don't value "experience" right now as much
as they value "not getting us in more wars" and "peaceful solutions to
prevent war," like the Iran deal.
- "MoveOn Members On Bernie Sanders: 'He'll Say No to Permanent War'"
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/robert-naiman/moveon-members-on-bernie_b_8974246.html

Robert Naiman
Policy Director
Just Foreign Policy