[Peace-discuss] Postponed means no-platformed

Robert Naiman naiman at justforeignpolicy.org
Thu Apr 11 12:08:34 UTC 2019

"There is no general right to freedom of speech in the US." There is if the
public insists there is. If people take the attitude that it would be cool
to take away other people's free speech rights as much as it is possible to
legally get away with, then no. But taking the attitude that it would be
cool to take away other people's free speech rights as much as it is
possible to legally get away with would be wrong. It would be immoral. It
would be unethical. It would be an insult to the memory of people who
struggled in the past to expand the space of free speech rights, like
Marianne Brun.

The University of Illinois largely got away with taking away Salaita's free
speech rights. They were sanctioned by the AAUP; those sanctions were
removed shortly after the University reached a legal settlement with
Salaita. He got a payout, but not the job that he had been promised.

What attitude should righteous people take towards this situation? Should
they celebrate the fact that UIUC largely got away with abrogating
Salaita's free speech rights? Should they rub their hands with glee? Should
they cackle with joy?

Or should they try to figure out how to stop the abrogation of free speech
rights in the future?

I always knew you as a First Amendment hardliner, Carl. That was the one
thing we always agreed on. Now that you have defected away from the camp of
First Amendment hardliners, I guess we don't agree on anything.