[Peace] Taping McChesney... and Colombia Talk

Meridith Kruse mmkruse2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 17 12:59:16 CDT 2001

Hi everyone - I can tape McChensney's talk tonight - and will also be making an audio of Professor Boyle's talk Thurs. night for the PRC...

In addition - wanted  to let everyone about a talk I will be giving this Sunday, noon, at Channing-Murray about U.S. intervention in Colombia-  all are invited...I will leave plenty of time for discussion...

The "War On Drugs" and Terrorism in Colombia.  Meridith Kruse
On Sept. 24 President Bush signed an executive order prohibiting U.S. transactions with terrorist groups;  Colin Powell recently designated the United Self-Defense Forces of Colombia, commonly known as the AUC or paramilitaries as a “foreign terrorist organization,” whose members have massacred hundreds of civilians and forced the displacement of entire villages.  However through our $1.3 billion “Plan Colombia” the U.S. is directly supporting a Colombian military structure which according to the U.S. State Department is closely aligned with the AUC.   Thus there are reasons to question Plan Colombia both in its ability to assist in the “war on drugs” and on our “war on terrorism.  Meridith, who last winter spent two weeks in Colombia with a human rights delegation will discuss the impact of U.S. foreign policy on Colombia and ways we can work for change. Join us at 12 noon, Sunday, Oct. 21, Channing-Murray Foundation, 1209 W. Oregon, U. (corner of Mathews and Oregon).