[Peace] U of I grad taken away by FBI--HELP!!

parenti susan rose sparenti at ux1.cso.uiuc.edu
Thu May 30 23:06:40 CDT 2002

Today, Thursday, Ahmed Bensouda, a U of I international student from
Dubai, U. A. I, who just graduated in political science, was handcuffed
and taken away from his home at 205 W. High Street, Urbana, by 2 FBI
agents. There was no warrant, no charges, no evidence spoken against
him. AT the moment no one knows where he is, why he was taken, when or if
he will return home to safety. Ahmed is an active participant
in the Israel Divestment Campaign, in the Democratic Solidarity
Committee, and in AWARE--he is also part of a group scheduled to visit the
occupied territories in Palestine at the end of June.

We are concerned, scared for him.

Tonight at the Illini Union around 40 people(friends and activists)met to
figure out what to do. Here's what we thought:

MEET AT HIS HOME ON 205 W. HIGH, ON AN EMERGENCY VIGIL, FROM 6AM-8PM
TOMORROW, FRIDAY----the FBI agents said they'd return to his home
tomorrow, Friday, to pick up some things(?). Whether this is true or not,
we ask everyone to come by. There will be candles, we'll make signs. Bring
food, drinks, be ready to stay for a few hours or however long you can.
Phone or e mail other people to do this too. If you have media contacts,
or e mail listing contacts, contact them. If information and numbers have
power in the transnational corporate world, let's use that power.

CALL THE IMC TO FIND OUT WHAT'S GOING ON: CAll 344-8820, or 344-8821, to
find out what's going on, what you can do, or to tell what you're doing.
Zack Miller is keeping the IMC open all night, tonight, Thursday. The IMC
will be the contact point for our actions. Or stop by the Independent
Media Center, at 218 West Main, Urbana, next to the Office and a small
yellow daffodil(also, it's just a few blocks from Ahmed's home).

COME TO THE NEXT EMERGENCY MEETING, TOMORROW FRIDAY, MAY 31, 8pm, at the
FOOD COURT of the ILLINI UNION(basement)--We'll meet there tomorrow to
round up information, figure out what next to do. what to do what to do
what to do

CHECK THE WEB-SITE--  http://ucimc.org/ahmed
To post information, write  foa at lists.cu.groogroo.com (this is a list for
Friends of Ahmed, a public list).

THINK OF THINGS TO DO, AND DO THEM--if you have an idea(call our
representatives? call WILL??) do it. Let others know, if you think it's a
good idea.

If I had been handcuffed and taken from my house, I'd like to know people
in town were pitting their brains, courage, organizational skills, and
fondness for me, against repressive force.

Must bullying have the last word?