[Peace] Reminder: IDF Peace with Justice Fall Dinner This Saturday!

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Thu Nov 7 08:31:54 CST 2002

Hello Everyone,

I wanted to send one last reminder, many of you have already
bought tickets or are volunteering for this event- thank you!

Tickets will also be on sale at the IDF the night of the event. Also,
you can listen to Marino on the Labor Hour from 11-noon this Saturday...

And don't forget, overflow parking for the dinner is available at
the Kenney Gym lot (located off Wright Street, across from IDF).

The food preparation is going well! I hope to see you Saturday,
Meridith

	I L L I N O I S   D I S C I P L E S   F O U N D A T I O N

       A N N U A L   F A L L   F U N D R A I S I N G   D I N N E R

		Featuring keynote speaker MARINO CORDOBA

		       Saturday, November 9, 2002
			  Beginning at 5:30pm
			    Page Hall, IDF
         Tickets from $8-$15, with special Donor Tickets at $30

**BACKGROUND OF THE EVENT:

Every fall, the IDF gathers its old and new friends and allies, members of
the strong social justice movements of the Champaign-Urbana community, to
reflect on our victories, energize each other for the year to come, and to
dine on some really great food! Our main fundraiser of the year features
a full vegan meal, speaker presentation, and raffle complete with
numerous prizes from local business!

This year our dinner will take place on Saturday, November 9 in Page Hall
(610 E. Springfield in Champaign) and will feature Afro-Colombian activist
Marino Cordoba.

**BACKGROUND OF OUR SPEAKER:

Marino Cordoba is an Afro-Colombian activist. Cordoba has received asylum
in the US after having survived two assassination attempts on his life by
right-wing paramilitaries working with the US-back Colombian Military.
Marino served as President of the Small Farmers Organization of the Lower
Atrato Ocaba Region and as Special Advisor to the Council of Black
Organizations. He played a prominent role in the Constitutional Assembly
of 1991, has worked as the Elected Representative of the African
Colombian Communities on the Executive Council, and was a member of the
Peace Council and a Mediator in Alternative Dispute Resolution in the
municipality of Riosucio.

In our work, we stand in solidarity with people working for justice in
Colombia and it is a rare experience to be able to meet with those who
risk their lives to do so. Cordoba's talk, entitled "The Afro-Colombian
Struggle for Land and Justice," will be an exciting focus for the
evening. We are extremely lucky to have Cordoba come to the IDF to share
his experiences and perspective.

More information on Cordoba and the situation on Colombia is available on
request.

**SCHEDULE OF EVENTS:

5:30: Doors open
6:00: Dinner served
7:00: Speaker presentation
8:00: Raffle

**TO ORDER TICKETS

Tickets to the dinner cost $8-15 and can be purchased at the IDF, La Casa
Cultural Latina, or at the door (WE HIGHLY SUGGEST BUYING TICKETS BEFORE
THE EVENT.) Special Donor Tickets are priced at $30 and free tickets for
very low-income households are also available on request (call 352-8721
for more information.) Raffle tickets are also available at $1 each, or 6
for $5.

Proceeds from the dinner will support the IDF and its programs, the
Common Ground Food Cooperative, the Progressive Resource Action
Cooperative, and the Women's Direct Action Collective.

**OUR SUPPORT:

We would like to thank the following co-sponsoring organizations:
85% Coalition, Amnesty International (Student Chapter), Anti-War
Anti-Racist Effort (AWARE), UIUC African American Cultural Program, School
for Designing a Society, University YMCA, Channing-Murray Foundation,
Progressive Resource/Action Cooperative, Women's Direct Action
Collective, Common Ground Food Cooperative, U-C Independent Media Center,
El Centro por Los Trabajadores, Vietnam Veterans Against the War
(CU-Chapter), La Casa Cultural Latina, Mexican Students Association,
Students for World Improvement (University High School), Illinois Student
Environmental Network, Graduate Employees Organization, South Asian
Collective, El Pueblo Unido, Students Improving the Lives of Animals, U-C
Friends Meeting, Feminist Majority Leadership Alliance, Democratic
Solidarity Committee, Colombia Task Force of First Mennonite Church.

**FOR MORE INFORMATION:

For more information about this event, or if you are interested in
volunteering to help out, you may respond to this email, call (217)
352-8721, or visit www.prairienet.org/idf.