[Peace] Follow-up with officer

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Thu Nov 7 17:38:06 CST 2002

I finally had a moment to call the police officer I spoke to in early
October after the Saturday incident in which the driver of a truck
threatened to run us over during our peaceful demonstration on N. Prospect.
As you know, the officer is Officer Standifer.  He was in this morning when
I called and here's what I found out:

He has received our messages requesting information about what's happened
since the incident.  I agreed to be the liaison and communicate what is
known.

The day after the incident, the officer looked for the truck in my
neighborhood. That's because I mistakenly thought I had seen this very truck
in my neighborhood. I was sure of it.   I realized later that I was mistaken
but I didn't follow up with the officer.  He ran the license plate (68 DAWG)
and found out that the truck is a 1989 Chevrolet licensed to a man in
Rantoul.  The officer cannot give me the truck owner's name or address.
Since the owner of the vehicle, which may not be the same person as the
driver of the vehicle that day, lives in Rantoul, the department doesn't
have the resources to send the officer to Rantoul.  He could call the person
or ask him to come down to talk with the Champaign police, but he says
that's not effective. The Rantoul police probably wouldn't follow up (i
can't remember why he said this, sorry).  A police report has been filed .
It' s number 702-12351.  The report is also being forwarded to the State's
Attorney's office.  It will cost $5 to get a copy of the report. The Officer
asked that information to and from AWARE be routed through me or someone
else.  I am happy to do this, or to transfer this responsibility to someone
else. The request is simply that one person deal with the officer so that
the same information can get out to all parties involved.

In summary, a report has been filed, a search was made to locate the vehicle
two days in a row after we gave our verbal account to the officer, a name,
address and phone have been associated with the truck (but we don't know if
that is the same person who intimidated us).  I told the officer to check
the Tires Plus parking lot. Maybe the guy works there.

If anyone see the truck fitting this description:  1989 Chevy truck , color
black and red and white with license plates, 68 DAWG, please call dispatch ,
333-8911, and ask for Officer Standifer.

Kimberlie