[Peace] Da Bears engagement results

Kranich, Kimberlie Kranich at WILL.uiuc.edu
Sun Sep 8 14:48:29 CDT 2002

In the sweltering heat and humidity, a constant group of 15 of us (some came
for a short time and left and were replaced by others newly arriving) stood
on the corner of State Street and Kirby Avenue and engaged Bears' fans for
90 minutes with the question, "How can We Stop A War Against Iraq?"

Some said, "We Don't Want To," and others screamed "Nuke 'em all! Even the
women and children!"  Still others were concerned about the possibility of
the U.S. using nuclear weapons against Iraq.  Dozens of hand bills and AWARE
fliers were passed out to those sympathetic to our call for peace and to
those who were ambivalent. We were trying to get people to call Congress to
stop a war.

Some of us challenged those who were dead set on killing Iraqis or who
dimissed our presence altogether:

"Get a life!" someone screamed.
"Exactly!" was the response.  "I'm trying to save lives!"

"Nuke the bastards!" yelled some pedestrians.
"Peace to you and your heart, Maam." was the response.

It was a tough crowd.  I found it challenging to respond to hatred with a
peaceful heart. Violence, even verbal violence, begets violence, doesn't it?
One of our signs proclaimed it so.

These are my reactions and impressions. Not the entire group's.

Thanks to all those who came out and stood for peace and life and gave their
best arguments to all who would listen.

Kimberlie