[Peace] AWARE minutes 9-22-02

Karen Kohn karenkohn00 at hotmail.com
Sun Sep 22 21:54:24 CDT 2002

AWARE meeting minutes 9-22-02

Roughly 26 people in attendance.  Carol facilitated.

Shana Wills, a graduate student in African studies, gave a slide show of her trip to South Africa, where she studied the anti-privatization and anti-eviction movements.  She explained both movements and told us of a very active group of young people against globalization.  She recommends people contact them.

Upcoming Events:
  a.. Tomorrow!! September 23, Monday, 7 pm, Illinois Disciples Foundation.  Visitor Osama Saba will give a talk about the Occupation of Palestine.
  b.. Also on Monday, 7 pm.  CIMIC (the local mosque) is having a forum on U.S. intervention and weapons inspection in Iraq.
  c.. Wednesday, September 25, 7 pm, Gregory Hall.  the Democratic Solidarity Committee is sponsoring a talk on the Israel divestment campaign
  d.. Carl for Congress fundraiser- I'm not sure of the day!! :( but...
  e.. The Green Party is looking for volunteers.  They meet Sundays, 7:30-9:30 in Carl's campaign office at 24 E. Green Street.  Carl will be on WEFT from 2-6 a.m. Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday nights!  He can't take call-ins, but you can e-mail.
  f.. postcard tabling will be taking place Monday and Tuesday outside Strawberry Fields.  Write to your senators about the impending war on Iraq.  You can come at 11:30 or 5 to pick up postcards and bring them someplace else, or drop by between 11:30-1:30 or 5-6 to help out at Strawberry Fields.  Even if you can only stay half an hour, that helps.  Call Carol at 344-9155 if you want her to deliver postcards to you.
  g.. Thursday 11:30 am some people will go to Tim Johnson's office.  Lisa Chason will e-mail with more details.
  h.. Revival of Ladies and Laddies Against War, Saturday at noon at the corner of Prospect and Marketview.
Past Events:

  a.. Robert went to a discussion on Iraq at the United Church of Christ.  They didn't know about AWARE but will come to a meeting soon.
  b.. Farmer's Market.  Jeff, Gabriel and Charlotte gave out literature and bumper stickers.  They have lots of ideas for other things to have at their table- postcards, a petition, "House for Peace" signs.  We will try to have a continued presence at the Farmer's Market.
  c.. Ricky, Carol, and Matt made a "What Can I Do?" flier with addresses of congresspeople, alternative media, and peace groups in town.
  d.. Lisa reported on the Wal-Mart protest on Saturday.
  e.. Matt talked about the Taco Bell protest, which got no media coverage except the IMC.
Financial Report:
    We had $50 at the beginning of the meeting.  We should remember to ask for donations whenever we can, like when tabling with postcards.  If you want to be on the financial committee, contact Raia Fink.
Discussion of our e-mail lists:
  Ricky will post a reminder that the Peace List is not for articles, that's what Peace-discuss is for.  Also, please don't post really long messages.

Pledge:
  Al presented a pledge that Jeff Guntzel (from Voices in the Wilderness) brought us.  It is sponsored by many groups, and we can sign it as individuals or as a group, or both.  There are actually two pledges, one is a pledge of public protest, which says that if the U.S. escalates bombing against Iraq or invades we will publicly protest.  The other is a pledge to perform civil disobedience.  The sponsors of the pledge will use it as a way to coordinate nationwide actions because they'll have our names, but they'll try to prevent the government from getting the names.
  Carol will post the pledge to peace-discuss and to our website (www.anti-war.net).  You can print it out and mail it to Ricky Baldwin.  (Sorry I don't have his address.  E-mail baldwinricky at hotmail.com to ask.)

Working Groups:
  a.. Sandra is planning an art show of framed postcard-sized art, which will be auctioned off.  It will also involve selling postcards and maybe a station for writing cards to politicians.  She is looking for a location and would like help with this project.  E-mail spiritofsandra at hotmail.com
  b.. Rob Scott is working on silk-screening t-shirts but wasn't there to make a report.
  c.. AWAREcare is meeting at 7:30 this Tuesday at Al Kagan's: 310 W. Hill Street #1E, Champaign.
  d.. Kord reported that AWARE-TV will be broadcasting our teach-in this Thursday at 8 pm.  AWARE-TV is on every Thursday on Urbana cable, sometimes at 8 and sometimes midnight.
  e.. Sharon has taken over the Speaker's Bureau but is looking for people to help her coordinate.  Call her at 355-2858 (home) or 355-3507 (work).
Lastly, Congress will likely vote on Iraq this Friday, September 27.  If I understand correctly, this will not be a declaration of war but a statement that Bush can use force against Iraq when he thinks it's necessary.  Call Senator Durbin to urge him to vote no.