[Peace] Rachel Corrie

mackaman mackaman at students.uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 9 00:31:43 CDT 2003

Hello All,

As many of you heard, a few weeks ago a young US college student was run over
in Israel attempting to defend a house from demolition, Rachel Corrie, aged 23
of Evergreen College in Olympia, WA.  As I may have already told some of you,
Rachel was also my second cousin.

Her family, with the help of a handful of Congressmen, have attempted to build
momentum to pass a resolution in Washington calling for an investigation into
the circumstances of Rachel's death.  They would appreciate it, if you are so
inclined, if you would add your voice to this call by writing Congressmen Tim
Johnson, or your hometown rep, from one of the links below. (the first link
gives tips for writing a letter; the second may be quicker-- a form e-mail.)

Pictures, videotape, and many witnesses of Rachel's killing testify that her
death was far from accidental, as Israel claims.  At the time she was killed,
defending the house of a doctor in Gaza, Rachel was wearing a bright orange
highwayman's jacket, yelling at the militarized bulldozer with a bullhorn, and
standing atop a pile of rubble in order to make eye contact.  The bulldozer
scooped her up, dropped her, then ran over her body not once, but twice,
forwards and back.  She died shortly thereafter in a Palestinian hospital.  In
the next twenty-four hours, Israel's IDF proceeded to kill ten Palestinians,
including a four-year-old child.  More recently, another international peace
volunteer has been shot in the face by a member of Israel's IDF, and remains
in serious condition.

Israel has called off an investigation of the driver's actions, and he has now
returned to his work.

To be frank, I doubt that any independent investigation of Rachel's kiling
will take place, but I know her family would appreciate our modest efforts in
trying.

Best regards,

Tom

www.endtheoccupation.org