[Peace] Documentary Film Showing Today!

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Sun Apr 27 08:10:34 CDT 2003

Hi all,

Just a reminder that this important documentary
about the killing of young maquilladora workers
in Juarez, Mexico will be shown this afternoon,
from 3:30-5:00pm, at the IMC.

Hope to see you there! Meridith

"Senorita Extraviada" ~ "Missing Young Woman"

THIS Sunday April 27th
3:30-5:00pm (Right Before the AWARE meeting)
Independent Media Center
218 W. Main St. Urbana

Hello Everyone,

Last month I had the opportunity to see the documentary "Senorita
Extraviada" ~ "Missing Young Woman" when La Casa Cultural
Latina brought members of the Mexico Solidarity Network to campus.

What I learned from this video is impossible to forget.

Since 1993 over 300 young women have been raped and murdered
in Juarez, Mexico.  The majority of these women were maqilladora
or "sweatshop" workers.  The murders continue and investigations
into the women's deaths have been stalled at the local and federal
levels. Local women's groups have organized and request our help.

Ciudad Juarez was dubbed the "City of the Future" by pro-NAFTA
advocates and served as an economic and urban model for developing
nations throughout Latin America.  In "Senorita Extraviada" Lourdes
Portillo documents the underbelly of the new global economy. She
also points out that consumers in the US have a clear responsiblity
to press for justice for the families of these young women since
these are the women who, under "Free Trade" policies, flee their
homes to work in dangerous and deadly conditions for poverty
wages so that we can enjoy cheaper clothing.

The suffering of these mostly forgotten women weights heavily
on my heart. I hope you can join me at the Independent Media
Center this Sunday April 27th at 3:30 to watch this film.

I will have letters to send to Representative Tim Johnson urging
the United States press President Fox to seek justice in the
cases of these murdered women.  I will also leave the video at
the IMC library for others to check out and show to more
audiences.  It is important to see this film and take action.

If you have any questions please call me at 344-3592.

In Peace,
Meridith