[Peace] NY times piece on Halabja

Dlind49 at aol.com Dlind49 at aol.com
Sun Feb 2 15:45:38 CST 2003

I was on phone waiting to come on during Amy's show with Assif, Karen, and
Chris. We ran out of time so we will continue this next week. Chris Busby's
new report which I have read and discussed with our other team members and
that was part of our lecture series this week is critical. Assif's findings
of DU health effects in Afghanistan is significant. We are increasing
pressure in administration to ban DU.  I was also with Steven Pelletiere at
St. Bonaventure University as one of speakers for visiting scholars program.
Steve's talk was: "The Persian Gulf on the Brink"  and mine:  "American
Soldiers in Iraq: The New Warfare". We spent two days together teaching
class, discussing events, and giving our primary invited talks.  Steve and I
discussed this incident from each of our perspectives based on our actual
responsibilities during Gulf War I and since.  Maybe someday we will all sit
down to discuss this and other incidents. But it will not be done in a few
minutes.  We were also successful (my Bloomington pantagraph guest editorial
1/19/03) in getting USMC unit in Peoria to turn in their faulty gas masks and
delay / cancel deployment until they were replaced.

I just returned from a one week speaking tour with a focus on stopping this
upcoming war.  I started at University of Ohio, Columbus for "Ladies in Black
Vigil", 1/24; two talks at Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, evening of
1/25 and morning of 1/26; Cleveland combined faiths on evening of  1/26;
class for combined classes at Cleveland Catholic Girls high school at 9:30 on
1/27 followed by a meeting with Cleveland Plain Dealer newspaper editorial
board followed by talk at University of Akron at 2 pm then on to Convent of
Franciscan Sisters, Catholic Commission, Akron, Ohio.  I then drove to
University of Buffalo, Buffalo NY to give a talk. listen to State of Union,
and then participate/ lead Univ of Buffalo's  G.W.'s State of Union speech
analysis.  On 1/29 and 1/30 I was visiting scholar at Saint Bonaventure
Catholic University, I was guest lecturer for Catholic Theology and Ethics
class (Father Judd) with focus on Just War and a combined class on geography
and history. I gave an invited talk on 1/30 as 2nd part of series "Iraq on
the Brink" with Steven Pelletiere, Army War College and CIA.  I then returned
to university of Ohio last night for "Ladies in Black Vigil" (about 40 showed
up on campus)  and an a video interview with a history professor. This week
was an excellent experience as I met many individuals of all faiths,
professions,  and occupations who are striving for peace. The Canadian
Broadcasting Company sent an investigative reporter/videographer along with
me/us during the speaking tour  for a story "On the Road with Dr. Rokke" that
will be broadcast in Canada on CBC's National magazine.  It was set for today
but Shuttle crash altered line up.  This is a follow up to a previous story
we did with CBC called the "The Silver Bullet'.  As to News Gazette, John is
on his own, but Tom Kacich wrote a great piece based on our discussions in
Jan 26 edition on page B-3. our team has many more stories coming out to stop
this war all over our nation, Canada, Europe, and Japan.
But we sure need more help.

In peace,

doug
643-6205