[Peace] Meeting at American Legion Tonight

Meridith Kruse bmmk at soltec.net
Mon Mar 3 09:28:08 CST 2003

Hello Everyone,

As I mentioned at the AWARE meeting last night I plan to
attend the meeting tonight at the American Legion in Champaign:

American Legion Post 24, 7pm
Monday March 3rd
705 W. Bloomington Road
356-5114
Speaker: Illinios State Sen. Rick Winkel
Topic: "Issues and Pending Legislation of
Concern to the Military Veteran Community"

I am motivated to attend out of concern for friends
who are suffering from the effects of exposure to depleted
uranium during Gulf War I and have been unable to secure
recognition or help from the US Government for their health care.

I will be raising this issue in a spirit of respect and concern for
veterans and asking Rick Winkel about his knowledge on this topic.

Below is a letter forwarded to me from Joe Miller of Vietnam Veterans
Against the War that also motivates me to attend and ask questions
at tonight's meeting.  I hope others who are concerned will also attend.

Meridith

--------------------------------------
Dear Mr. President,

I went to the war a healthy, beautiful woman. I really admire your wife. I
don't want any troops to suffer the way I have for the past 11 years. When I
first became sick in Saudi, it continued after every meal. When I first went
to the VA, they said it was all in my head. I had severe bone pain in my
legs and had to give up a brand new car I bought when I got out of the Air
Force. I couldn't drive it anymore. Then the pain spread to all my joints
and muscles. I had a constant sore throat and fatigue, but doctors said
nothing was wrong. I asked to be checked for mycoplasma fermantans but they
denied me. Finally in 1997, I got a new doctor at the VA who took me
seriously and realized I had lupus. Then in May 2001, I was no longer able
to work and due to the rule that says you can't have your disability check
if you get out early from the Air Force, I have really suffered. Now I can
barely walk and I can only see the rheumatologist every 2 months. I have to
go all the way to Tampa for anything serious .By the way, when I got home
from the war, I was told if I didn't take the Early Out, most likely I would
be RIF'ted (reduction in force) with no benefits, because my career field
was 80 percent staff sergeants. At no time was I told, if you take the early
out and become disabled we will keep your check until you pay us back. If I
had known about that I would have stayed in and got a medical discharge for
being in the toilet all the time.

I have a friend, an Army gulf vet who has tried for 7 years to get medical
treatment from the VA. He has contacted Congressman and Senators with no
results. The VA says they can't treat him because his medical records
mysteriously disappeared. He really needs help as he suffers from Post
Traumatic Stress Disorder and has nightmares from having to drag burnt up
Iraqis out of their burnt up tanks.

It's really horrible the way we have suffered - I mean all Gulf vets in
general. However, I must say I would serve my country again if I were able,
and I am proud of my service in the Air Force. I would also like to say that
we are sick from either the exposures from the environment, the shots, the
pills, other exposures, etc.

There is a reason.

I think I am personally sick from breathing in oil smoke for months - the
sky during the day was black as night, the numerous vaccines, and untidy
conditions that the Air Force food was served in. If you support a new war
in Iraq, you must take a stand for sick Gulf vets like myself who made the
ultimate sacrifice and are still making it day by day.

Sincerely,
Mary Ann Parker
Gulf Vet, U.S. Air Force