[Peace] Support for "Fahrenheit 9/11"

Matt Evans revans at cyrus.psych.uiuc.edu
Thu Jun 24 23:17:03 CDT 2004

I know that people are organizing various efforts around Moore's film in
Champaign, but not much is being done at a grassroots level to get people
to the film in the first place. I think that in Champaign and other places,
people should work in lieu of the television and try to get people to see
the film. I have been distributing around the internet a list of possible
actions people can take to help get people to the theater. I have done
these things in my own community. If you approve of this list, you might
take the actions yourself, organize a group to take action, or distribute
the list of potential actions to others who might act on them. The more
people who engage in these efforts, the better.

Several things people can do are:

1. Encourage theaters to show the film.
2. Tell friends, family, coworkers, employees, employers, customers and
everyone else about the film and where it's playing.
3. Make homemade flyers advertising the film and place them where people
will see them in college classrooms, bookstores, libraries, public
restrooms, cinemas, beside ATMs, at churches, and wherever else you think
they would be most effective and seen by the greatest number of people.
Handing them out to individuals can waste resources, but just placing
individual flyers or small stacks of them in prominent places does better.
4. Call public radio stations and cool commercial radio stations and ask
them to announce where the film is playing.
5. Contact prominent individuals and organizations (e.g., Bill Clinton,
Noam Chomsky, Dennis Kucinich, Howard Zinn, Jesse Jackson, Ralph Nader, Amy
Goodman, commondreams.org, moveon.org), and ask them to advocate the film
once it comes out.
6. Hang out at cinemas where the film is playing and induce people to see
the film. This could take the form of making a t-shirt that advertises the
film and wearing it around the ticket booth of the cinema, walking up to
people outside the theater and telling them about the film and suggesting
they see it, or hanging out with a group of people with picket signs
advertising the film. There are many other things along these lines that
could be done too, and the more the merrier.
7. After showings of the film, distribute a small list of books and
resources that people might find useful in answering the questions the film
raised for them.
8. Distribute this list (with your amendments and additions) in email
groups and on message boards. The more people who do these suggested
actions, the more people will see the film, and the more powerful it will
be as an influence on the election.
9. Tell others about your efforts, such as on message boards like this and
elsewhere.