[Peace] Fw: [cc_naacp] NAACP Elections

Randall Cotton recotton at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 17 20:16:40 CDT 2005

At today's AWARE meeting, it was requested that the message below from
Sister Carol Ammons be forwarded on to AWARE. It's regarding the upcoming
NAACP election this Tuesday evening. The polls will be open from 5 to 7PM at
the NAACP headquarters, 310 E. Bradley in Champaign. NAACP members in good
standing (membership for 30 days or more) may vote. It's best to bring your
NAACP membership card. Many of us became NAACP members in support of Sister
Carol's candidacy last year. Those elections were abandoned due to serious
flaws in the conduct of the organization. The election process was restarted
earlier this year and culminates in the vote being conducted on Tuesday.

Below, Sister Carol announces she is not a candidate in Tuesday's elections,
but that she endorses Minister Zernial Bogan for the office of 1st Vice
President and asks others to turn out at the NAACP poll in support of him .
I gather this is the only contested seat on the ballot.

I would also like to add my own endorsement of Minister Bogan. I became
acquainted with him through WEFT and have found him to be a very energetic,
positive force as a community activist.  He has a community affairs show on
WEFT on Sunday mornings from 7AM to 8AM called "Speak Up!". He has a
deep-rooted commitment to uplifting the black community, particularly young
folks who are the least fortunate and most at-risk.

Also, in my opinion, he has a keen awareness of some of the problems that
exist with the current NAACP leadership and I'm confident he'll work to
improve the situation.

I understand many things are happening in the community on Tuesday, but one
should still be able to vote early, shortly after 5PM, and then still attend
one of the many events occurring later that evening.

Thanks